Sunday 29 May 2022

Saturday 29th May 2022

Another day without work, but filled with orchids instead.

I had been contacted by another farmer asking if I would like to visit his farm and look at the Southern Marsh Orchids he had growing.

I said I would, so I arranged to be there at ten, my friend, Ian and his wife and extended family were also coming.

Of course we had to go shopping first, though just five days provisions needed as we are off on our holibobs before next weekend, but enough to make it a two person forage.

We went round, getting the important stff, like coffee and milk, before paying and driving home. But there was just enough time to put the shopping away before we had to go out again, as Jools had a hair cut. I would drop her off and go to the farm, but there was enough time for me to stop off in town for breakfast.

Co-Op no more I parked behind the church, and what used to be the town's Co-Op is now gone, just an expanse of concrete, though clearer views of the Castle behind.

I walk to Chaplins, there's only one other table taken. I could have had a small breakfast or just a sausage butty, but my mouth asked for a large breakfast with extra hash browns, which was a lot, but I can tell you did hit the spot, and as it turned out, kept me going until nearly three in the afternoon when I got home.

A good start I paid and left, driving to the A20, then up towards Folkestone. On the other carriageway, traffic was sold from Ayclife all the way back onto the motorway where the road was closed at Junction 13, and all traffic was being sent through Folkestone. Liverpool fans in their red shirts sat in their cars, going nowhere for a while.

I hope they reached Paris by kick off time.

I cruised towards Hythe, turning off and finding myself half an hour early, parked up to wait and watch the world go by, which for the most part was a flock of newly shorn sheep in a field of buttercups.

At least they're cooler I thought.

I drove to the farm, or where the sat nav said the farm should be. It had no sign outside of it, so I settled down to wait, hoping that Alastair would come down at then as promised. Ian and hs family were stuck in traffic the otherside of Maidstone, so would be a while.

Alastair came out, so I got out to shake his hand, and after deciding not to wait for Ian, his dauhter would, we wandered off as he explained the regime at the farm, and how the orchids arriving was a by-product. I was expecting some orchids, but how many is that? What I saw were orchids everywhere, except in the fields were crops had been shown, but also round the margins.

As soil type changed, orchids thinned out, but only to return in greater numbers the other side of the wood we walked through.

Ian and family had arrived, and joined us where I was inspecting what were clearly hybrids of CSO and SMO, but some had spotted leaves, most hadn't. Sometimes its best just to say they're fine looking orchids and enjoy the sight rather than put each spike into a tight definition box.

One hundred and forty eight The orchids were mostly in fields and meadows with buttercups, making a truly wonderful sight, the yellow complementing the purple of the orchids perfectly. I took lots of pictures.

A fresh Small Tortoiseshell flittered across the meadow, so the farmer's daughter and I chased with our cameras. I get a nice shot, even if the open wings are not flat on to the camera.

Aglais urticae Alastair also has two ponds, for fish, but are a haven for dragonflies, and no one has surveyed it before. I take shots of what I think is a Four-spotted chaser and a Common blue damselfly, other species perhaps were not so cooperative.

We walked on, back to the farm, where it was suggested we go to the pub.

A fine idea.

A short drive away was The Black Horse, where Jools and I have dined out at before, but we were just here for drinks. I had a fine bottle of porter sitting out on the sundeck with the others.

Time was getting away, so I took my leave after saying many thank-yous, programmed the sat nav for home, and that's when every route came up with traffic delay warnings. There was a choice, to head across country to Stone Street, through Bridge, then to Barfrestone, Waldershare and the Langdons to home. It would take time, but quicker than sitting in traffic.

Anyway, it was a nice day for a drive in the country, and there wasn't much traffic, Norwich had finished their season, so none of that to worry about.

I drove on, getting nearer and nearer to home.

And once I was home, I checked the traffic radar and the queues the car warned me off were not there.

So it goes, so it goes.

I make carbonara quickly, it comes together in half an hour or so. I have a couple of glasses of decent red with it, and am all done for the start of the League 2 play off final. Which was pretty good. Port Vale wining 2-0.

That gave me what should have been two hours before the Champion's League Final to write, edit photos and make supper before kick off, but there were issues outside the ground and the start delayed.

It kicked off after half eight, the ground still not full, and was compelling viewing. Real won 1-0, depsite Liverpool dominating, without doing enough. It all ended at half ten, by which time Jools had gone to bed and I was on the sloe port.

Cheers.

No comments: