Sunday 15 May 2022

Sunday 15th May 2022

Granddad's 106th birthday.

Or would have been.

And it is Sunday, and I am writing this as I am due to travel in the next couple of hours, at least to London Docklands for a night in a hotel as I have an early flight in the morning. At least flying back out of LCY its a 90 minute trip tonight, then a ten minute walk in the morning to the terminal.

And then fly to Amsterdam and have a five hour layover before flying into Billund.

Back in the day it used to take me just over 6 hours to get to my desk in either Esbjerg or Arhus, now takes close to 24. I really don't want to travel, but was summond by by latest new boss.

Sunday dawned coold and grey, but was supposed to get out sunny by eight. Clearly, no one told the weather and instead the cloud thickened and rain began to fall.

An early start to head to Folkestone Downs after the first coffee to check on the early Late Spider, and good news it and a friend were in flower. I took shots of both, and even a weak beam of sunlight lit the spike for a moment.

One hundred and thirty five We drove back along the Alkham Valley to Temple Ewell for a hike up and over the down to Lydden to hunt for the Burnt Tip.

I didn't really feel like it, my back ached before we started, but where there's an orchid, there's a will.

We climbed slowly through the wood and into open countryside. Down below a 12 car Javelin headed towards Lydden tunnel, not sure if it was lost or a stock move. Either way, wasn't expecting it, so failed to get a shot.

Down into Lydden, and the Early Spiders are still going strong, though some spikes clearly frazzled once the top flower had faded, then down into the reserve and to the site of the Burnts.

I don't want to trample too much, so do a quick search, and see no signs. They're out in Sussex, but not here, and maybe they won't show again this year. I'll return next week for a final check.

Coenonympha pamphilus By then rain began to fall, so we walked back up the down, disturbing a kestrel with prey, it flew off making loud angry sounds. We were quite damp by the time we reached the car, and more rain fell gently.

We drove home, where we had late breakfastand more coffee. And then it was time to pack: I had a shower, got three changes of clothes, and mixed it in my large case, and job done.

I made chorizo hash for lunch, and listened to Norwich at Wlves as I cooked. It ended 1-1, which changes nothing really, but broke a five game losing streak. One game to go now, Spurs at home.

And that brings us up to dat, I will catch the ten to six train, arriving at the hotel at about half seven, for a drink and an early night.

No comments: