Wednesday 25 May 2022

Tuesday 24th May 2022

An improved day, weatherwise, but still unsettled.

But, let's see how much I could get done before the rain clouds and thunderstoms came.

After coffee, Jools went swimming, and I had breakfast and then set off for Faversham.

One hundred and forty four I had arranged to meet friends there, so we could go and see the original Monkey Orchid site. Last time I tried two weeks back, I got confused and doubted myself, but having consulted maps, I realised I was heading in the right direction after all.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia So, I was to meet Fran, Ian and Terry in the car park at Sainsubury's at nine. Meaning I had a slow start, caught up on writing and editing. And at eight fifteen, after filling up the feeders, I loaded the car and set off.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia Traffic was heavy, but I made it to the car park by five to nine, Terry was there and soon Fran arrived, but no Ian. Seems that he thought we would be somewhere the other side of the county, so wasn't coming. Not quickly anyway.

We all pile into my car, and drive out of the town, then down a narrow lane, parking at a narrow parking space in a small wood.

Here we are.

Terry and Fran trusted me, just as well as it looked like any other bit of wood in the area. But there was a path to follow, and then a fence. Before finally coming to a stile, and from the top of that, multiple cages could be seen.

Cliffsend This was the original Kent Monkey site, and although not as many spikes as last year, certainly more than on my first visit in 2016 when the Moneky x Man hybrid appeared.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora So, we went from cage to cage, checking out each spike in turn, before I decide which was the best, I tke the cage off so we could all snap the spike and head.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora Once we had all got our shots, we retraced our steps back to the car, then turned round to head to Folkestone.

I wanted to check on the Serapias vomeracea, so we spit into two cars, and headed back across the county, turning down ever narrower lanes until we came to the small fenced paddock, where there was a trail cam warning sign to ensure we all stayed the right side of the fence. I looked in and saw two spikes, not as far advanced as I hoped, and at least a week from opening.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora We got shots, and said goodbye to Terry who headed home, and I took Fran back to Faversham, dropping her off so she could back to looking after her Mother.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora What to do?

Well, it was raining in Faversham, but looked brighter to the east, so I decided to go to Pegwel Bay to check on the yellow Man Orchid and hunt for Bees.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora I stopped off to fill the car and buy something for lunch, sausage roll and a Cornish pasty did it for me, which I ate as I cruised along Thanet Way, heading east. And as I drove, the clouds lifted and the sun came out. But there was a threat of rain, so I would have to be quick.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora I parked at the Viking Ship, walked down the steps to the abandoned hoverport, then down to the right place, where about 30 bright yellow Man Orchids were just looking fabulous.

Dactylorhiza x grandis Although I saw no Bee nor any Southern Marsh, but I knew where I would find some of the latter nearby....

A short drive away, I parked the car and crossed the main road. Walking down the path, I was sure I would see some spies, but none. But knew where to look. An open space, I picked my way across, and found three different spikes: Common Spotted, Southern Marsh and the hybrids between the two. And amazingly, I could tell them apart, for the most part.

Dactylorhiza x grandis And that was that.

All around, huge thunderheads were forming, showers having washed dust from the atmosphere meant the light sparkled, but there was clearly some heavy rain and maybe thunder on the way. I turned for home.

Clarity I reviewed the shots taken, and made a brew.

Two brews.

For dinner, I made the brandy butter last seen on the beef of Sunday, this time for chicken, pan friend in il, then the butter added, with cooked rice poured i to soak up the juices.

Dactylorhiza x grandis A triumph.

I even opened a bottle of wine.

Cheers.

No thunder came, but we had heavy rain, snshine and rainbows.

Tired by half eight, I retired to bed, read for ten minutes and flaked out.

No comments: