Friday 20 May 2022

Sunday 15th May 2022 (part 2)

Sunday.

I really resent giving up part of my weekend because of my employer’s travel policy. I had all day Monday to travel, but only early flights could be selected, meaning I had to spend the night in London to be in time for the flight, even one at quarter to nine.

Which is why Jools dropped me off at the station at half five, so I could buy my ticket and make the ten to six train.

In fact I had 15 minutes wait, so watched the world go by before the Javelin pulled in and we could get on.

An hour later I got out at Stratford and made my way through gaggles of pissed-up West Ham fans, still celebrating their result against Citeh earlier that afternoon. I walked to the DLR station and waited for the next stain to take me to Canning Town.

On the road Canning Town was heaving, with more Hammers fans, but people in general, more like a weekday. The platform was heaving with people, just out enjoying the day.

On the road No one wore masks.

The train arrived to whisk me to the other side of the Excel Arena, dropping me at the station, with a 5 minute walk to the Holiday Inn. Bing Crosby wasn’t there, but I checked in, then went down to have supper of nachos and a beer, while I read the last of WSC, around me, groups of men in workwear drank beers and laughed. On the road.

On the road Again.

No comments: