Friday 23 November 2018

Thursday 22nd November 2018

The reason we were on the Isle of Wight was for work.

And the middle day of the trip was work day, and would be a long and tiring one, one which could be problematic.

But first, breakfast.

I had taken a nasal spray before going to be the night before, so I did sleep OK< meaning I was ready for the day ahead. We all met up for breakfast at half seven, outside the lounge, the day has dawned and was a dull and bleak day, a cold wind was blowing. But we had little time to take in the view, as we had to get to the factory.

Three hundred and twenty five My employer has a factor making blades for our turbines. These blades are huge, 81m long, and at the root end as wide as Chez Jelltex is high. I don't talk much about work, but I wish you could see what I see sometimes, standing at the tip of a balde, and seeing it almost disappear into the distance at the end of the factory hall, it is truly awe inspiring.

Anyway, we had to get there, and I said we would leave early because of traffic, and of course we saw hardly any on the 15 minute drive to the factory, making me out to being over-dramatic. Out customer was heavul delayed, however, by traffic, so was vindicated.

Through the day I walked miles, round the factory and round the blades being made.

A walk into Cowes We wrap up at four, bid our hosts farewell, and the three of us get back in the car and drive back to the hotel.

Now I had done 7,000 steps already, but I needed to take some shots, and as darkness fell, I knew the town centre would be all lit up. I told the others I would look for a place to eat, so I set off along the promenade into the teeth of the cold wind.

A walk into Cowes It was well lit, but not much to take shots of, but that didn't stop me. Of course.

There was a guy flying a drone, and it seemed to follow me for a while, so I thought of making rude signs in its direct, but decide against it, and anyway, am soon out its range.

A walk into Cowes I come to a collection of fine art deco condos, so snap those too. I walk up the high street which was already decorated for Christmas, which made the cobbled street look even more attractive.

The street turned this way and that up the slight hill, then down towards the Fountain hotel where I stayed last time. I walked past that.

A walk into Cowes I ended up in a micropub, the Cowes Ale House, but disappointingly, only had two ales on, so I chose the stronger one, and soon got into conversation with the guy next to me about photography. I was so enjoying it, I had a second beer, then realised i had to get back to the hotel to meet the others.

A walk into Cowes So no sooner had I walked back to the hotel, made myself a brew and reflected on the day and the fact that when walking into the room I had passed the 10,000 step mark, that it was time to go out again, and despite me trying to get them to eat into the hotel, that wanted to walk into town, so off we went, back into the teeth of the cold wind, and to the bright lights of Cowes.

We decide on a contemporary place that did a selection of tacos as well as some other small plates. So we choose three each, and wait for them food to arrive, Kate and I si on Mango Daiquiris, which were wonderful tart. We were so sophisticated.

A walk into Cowes The food was good, if small portioned, but we had several, so we ate well, by which time it was nine in the evening, and getting well towards bedtime. At least walking back the wind was at our back, blowing us home.

And inside, we have a nightcap, a wee dram for me, and G&Ts for the ladies.

We toast our luck and our friendship.

No comments: