Friday 30 November 2018

Thursday 29th November 2018

Another day working from home, and yet one of the last of such before Christmas, as I have a very busy calendar up to the 20th, as you shall see in due course.

The rain did fall in stair rods in the morning, meaning I had to get all dressed up in waterproofs just to put the bins out, but Mulder did not mind, as it seems the damp weather means more birds are searching for worms on such days and easier to catch.

He brought be a goldfinch, which I did rescue from his jaws, and to my surprise it was still alive, but injured, and when it flew from my hand, it could not get much higher, tried to land in the hedge, only for Mulder to leap in the air and catch it in his jaws. Mulder then ate the poor bird, all the while looking at me in disgust for not wanting to eat this dainty morsel.

Work was much the same, always some drama going on somewhere, which at least makes the days interesting.

Three hundred and thirty one At some point after lunch, the rain stops and even sun comes out. I can turn off the table lamp now.

And at three I can finish for the day, and go for a walk. Nothing exciting, just into the village to the doctor’s to puck up some pills. At least it gets me out of the house. And on the way I can look for more wild flowers…

Three and I step outside, and already the light is fading, just enough to be noticeable. Down the bottom of Station Road, people are trying to unblock the grains in the street so the new house doesn’t get flooded. The drain is full of soil from the run-off from fields, happens every time there is heavy rain. I would not have built a new house there, but then…..

St Maggies sunset Up the other side and into the village, cutting through the pond and then past the school where some of the elder children are being taken on a nature ramble looking at leaves and fungi.

I collect the medicine, and turn round to walk back home, the light now fading fast, but a fine sunset in the west lights everything in warm red light for a few minutes. Buses laden with schoolchildren drop off their charges, so they can get home to start on homework. And I walk down Station Road to the bottom of the Dip and up the other side, getting home at half four, just in time to feed the cats and tidy up the house.

Dinner is chorizo hash, and ready for when Jools comes in, something spicy and filling for a winter’s day, even if its not officially winter yet.

And that was it, listen to the radio, follow footy on Twitter, and to bed at nine.

No comments: