Thursday 10 October 2019

Thursday 10th October 2019

Thursday.

And apart from it being bin day, it is my last day at "work". I it like that, as I have had the last two weeks off pretty much. I worked yesterday, and will do about eight hours today, but nothing too taxing.

Two hundred and eighty three But first, it is operation cat roundup.

We have learned to grab the kitties early, put them in their boxes, and let them wait until we can take them to the kitty prison. Sorry, hotel.

Sunrise in Dover So, with Scully near me, and Mulder near Jools when the alarm went off, we grab them and wrestle the hissing spitting monsters into their boxes where they meow plaintively.

Sunrise in Dover We have coffee.

Cats meow.

We get dressed.

Cats meow.

Jools takes me into town so I could get the hire car. She drops me off near the yacht club, and with the sun having just risen, I take a load of shots, then amble towards the ferry port where the car hire office is.

Past the homeless folks sleeping in a shelter. They were up and packing their bedding and camping mats up. At least no rain.

Sunrise in Dover I cross Townwall Street, then down past East Cliff to the port and into the terminal with a five minute wait.

I am presented with a key and the paperwork all done, I was on my way before eight, walking to the car then driving it back to Chez Jelltex, through the rush hour traffic, all going in the opposite direction.

Sunrise in Dover Back home I make breakfast and another coffee.

Cats meow.

And after doing an hour's work, I can take the cats to their holiday home. But as our usual cattery has closed as the owner has retired, we have a new one to find. Good news is that it is closer, which should mean that Mulder's bowls should be fine.

Sunrise in Dover Out onto the Deal road then down to Walmer, under the railway line and over the fields to a Georgian house.

I knock at the door. And there is no answer.

A dog barks.

Cats meow.

I knock again. No answer.

And then I look round the side of the house and there was a shed-cum-office and beyond the pens.

For the cats.

I go over and knock, a woman looks up from behind the counter; hello?

Two cats?

Oh yes, tomorrow?

No, today.

She said, OK.

Which was good.

I booked them in: Mulder and Scully; strange names?

The X-Files?

I don't watch TV she said.

Anyway, seems nice enough, she asks lots of questions about their diet and what kitty litter they prefer.

They'll be fine.

I walk back to the car and drive home. Work beckoned.

Or didn't, really. I am there in body if not in spirit. Stuff gets done, and activities closed.

People seem happy which is about as much as we can hope for.

At three I have a shower and shave, then pack for the holiday, get my best stuff out for the funeral tomorrow.

Back down for one last check of work mails, then switch off, power down. And relax.

Only we have to drive to Colchester tonight, up to Lowestoft in the morning.

Then holiday.

No comments: