Tuesday 15 October 2019

Tuesday 15th October 2019

As I wrote earlier, I have been ill.

All day.

Jools is feeling tip top, so while I lay hovering close to death laying in my pit, she went to the gym for a workout, then, on the way back gets me a coffee from Starbucks opposite the hotel. Opposite and down a bit, then to the left. But close enough.

I drink that pretty quick, but I am not feeling very sharp at all.

So after Jools has a shower, she goes out for a wander and I stay in bed, listening to the radio, whilst my stomach empties.

And by one in the afternoon, I was feeling more human, so I began to think about what to do when Jools came back. And at just gone two, I see her in her coat coming back, carrying a huge cup of coffee for me.

She has been out on the L, going to various points she knew not where, as got lost twice, but had a good time.

What did I want to do?

Ride the L of course.

She sighs. Well, she put the idea in my head.

At quarter to three we go out, walk three blocks to the subway, where three bucks gets us one trip, to anywhere in the system.

We take two stops, then get out and go to the street onto the L, where I am happy as anything, standing at the very back of the train, snapping the scene as the train headed south.

Two hundred and eighty eight After three stops, and going round a tight curve at a junction, of which I get pictures. And I am happy.

We get off and wander along the streets, stopping off at a health food place for a bag of chips and some juice.

I felt a little better.

Walk some more, back over the river, on a road that ran parallel with Michigan, as the designer shops and crowds are so boring.

After a few blocks, I see a tap room, and I am thirsty, so go over for a pint of porter. Which hits the spot, but goes straight to my head.

Of course.

Meanwhile, the dark clouds that had swept over the city in the afternoon were now producing light rain, and we scuttled north getting closer to the hotel.

We come to a bbq place, and I say, shall we eat here? I mean, its nearly five, eat early, back in our room and relax?

So we do.

Jools has a half baby back rib and I have brisket, both of which were good. Stunning to me who had not eaten in some 22 hours.

As ever, the food came with a side, and we also asked for onion rings. A small mountain of those came, which we made a fair dent in.

The ribs and brisket were stunning, the best of either I have had. So a win there.

But we left so much food as we both had had enough. It will get trashed.

The rain had stopped, so we walk back to the hotel in the thinning crowds as the time approached half six, and back in our room soon after.

Tomorrow, things will change, somewhat....

No comments: