Wednesday 9 October 2019

Tuesday 8th October 2019

Tuesday morning.

And I have to get to Lowestoft to drop some documents off at the solicitors, then get myself back to Dover. And if I times it right, I could do the drop in the ten minutes the train was waiting at Lowestoft before returning to Norwich.

I was awake at half five, woken my my spinning head and mouth like a French man has been sleeping in it.

So, I lay listening to the wind outside and the gentle sound of the broad as the water lapped at the side of the dock onto which the hotel had been built.

Two hundred and eighty one Then I went back to the world of His Dark Materials.

A morning walk round Oulton Broad Time passed.

I have a shower then get dressed. At seven, I sprint down to the restaurant to dine well on breakfast. After some fruit, I fill a plate with sausages, bacon, hash browns and fried eggs. And I eat it all. The follow up with toast and marmalade.

A morning walk round Oulton Broad I felt human again.

My hope was to take some pictures round the park, then make my way to catch the eight o'clock train to Norwich so I could drop the bundle of documents in the solicitors.

A morning walk round Oulton Broad It was an ambitious plan, and one, I failed by quite some margin.

A morning walk round Oulton Broad So, I had time enough to sit on the draught station with the book. I do my coat up and plunge into the world of Lyra Silvertongue.

A morning walk round Oulton Broad My train arrived, and I get on. I find it another class 153 single coach rattle and shake train.

Bah.

Another disappointment Engines roar and the train lurches off. At least I was on my way.

We stop at most stations on the way, two passengers get on at Cantley other than that, no one else does.

Feeling FLIRTy At Norwich, my train to London is all prepped and waiting, so I walk round then up the platform, taking shots. Because, trains!

Norwich Thorpe I sit in the carriage nearest the front of the train before the first class seats start. And then there was the screaming child, I mean I know we were all young once, but I don't get the constant need for stimulation and snacks and drinks. I used to go three hours or more without anything on a train journey from Lowestoft to London. I survived.

755 422 The child is brought water, a sandwich, sweets and then a pear. But she does settle down.

In time.

90012 I am happy enough looking out of the window once the train clunks out. We pass a couple of places I used to deliver chemicals to in a previous life. One a swimming pool supplier, and the other Muntons in Stowmarket who are passionate about malt. Apparently.

The train powers on. Stopping at the same places as before. Child and her father gets off at Manningtree, but by then I am surrouded by angry first class passengers who found that there was a carriage short so they have to sit in cattle class with us. They demand free coffee once the trolley makes it to this end of the train as there was no buffet car either.

Oh dear.

I get off at Stratford, walk back through the mall, which is rammed with people eating.

I don't eat.

I go to Waitrose to buy some stuff for dinner either than night of Wednesday, and then read some more whilst I wait for the next train to Dover.

Stratford And so onto the train home to Kent, and I am so tired I have to fight sleep as the train zooms under London and then emerges into the Essex sunshine.

I arrive back in Dover, get taxi to take me back to St Maggies, back up past the castle and along Reach Road, with the Channel busy as ever to my right. Back home, I am greeted by the feline welcoming committee, so I feed them, and put the kettle on for a very welcome brew, then open a can of soup for lunch, which hits the spot.

I manage to fill my time well enough, unpack, look at photos taken and write a bit, but I am pooped.

Jools is going to yoga after work, so won't be home until gone seven, meaning i can put all my washing away and the rest.

I make caprese and garlic bread, so its all ready to go when Jools walks in.

By then it is dark and the over half full moon has risen over the trees the other side of the dip. It'll soon be winter, with ground as hard as iron, and the moon will shine down from an ice cold sky.

But for now there is wine.

Cheers.

And another day is over, and we are a day nearer our holibobs, which is now so close we can smell the hotdogs on the corner of the street. Or gumbo bubbling away.

No comments: