Sunday 3 November 2019

Saturday 2nd November 2019

Saturday.

A day of rest.

Although, usually I would find something to go out and do, or more exactly, go out to photograph.

Now, over the last month I have taken a huge amount of shots over the last month. And there would be other times in the weeks and months to come.

I needed not to take any shots.

And the weather was to grim, strong to gale force winds, heavy rain, best to stay inside and so some sorting out, writing, scanning, editing, cooking, listening to the radio.

Although, I had a hire car to pick up. And Jools dropped my off down at the port where I should have been able to pick up the keys.

Though it wasn't ready.

So, I stood and waited, watched the foot passengers waiting for the 09:15 sailing to Calais. An amazing amount of people were travelling by foot. Not hundreds, but a couple of dozen. They shuffled to the bus waiting outside once it was called. And the terminal returned to an empty and quiet state.

Here are your keys, the car is outside.

I had a bright red Renault thing, not bad.

First up was to go to the butchers as our freezer was pretty empty, and because, well, would be good to meet the boys and swap news about our football teams.

Beyond Eastry and Sandwich, the road took me out onto the marshes marking where the Wantsum Channel used to be. Heavy rain had left deep puddles and mud on the fields and the lanes that criss-cross the land. I came on a field of sunflowers. They were lit up by the low sun, and looked incredible. And I had no camera with me to record the scene.

I swore to return on Sunday.

The boys were busy, but not busy enough to lock horns over some football-related banter.

I get some steak for that night's dinner, and some other stuff to fill the freezer.

On the way back, the wind had really got up, making the car lurch from one side to another. I was certain I wouldn't go out again that day.

Once home, I prepare the steak, and leave it to sit on a tray in the oven to soak up olive oil. We have caprese for lunch, and wine. And Garlic bread. Meaning that once the football started in the afternoon, I took to the sofa and tried to stay awake to listen to the goals going in.

Three hundred and five Norwich have another nightmare, losing 2-0 at Brighton, and I was going to go, if I'd have gotten tickets. Outside, the wind blew, the rain came down in sheets as thick as blackout curtains.

Night came early, the results came in.

I sigh and go to make dinner. I boil potatoes, but the corn on to boil, and griddle the steaks.

Perfect.

Jools pops the cork on a bottle of pink fizz, I dish up and we sit down to listen to Huey on the wireless. Or i player as its called now.

Outside the rain fell, and the wind blew, meaning that most people were going to save their fireworks for another night.

We watch some TV, then head to bed.

No comments: