Wednesday 13 November 2019

Tuesday 12th November 2019

Tuesday.

was woken just before 5 by the sound of a bin full of empty bottles being poured into a truck. As an alarm clock, I've had better.

Welcome to that London.

I lay in bed for an hour, maybe doze some more, but am up and about by half six, pack my work bag ready to try to find the venue for the course.

I am lucky in that the hotel is a hundred yards from one tube station, go one station east to London Bridge, then take the Northern Line south the Borough, and the venue should be opposite.

I get dressed and go down for breakfast, where I have the usual coffee and fruit followed by two hash browns and two bangers.

Great.

I was pretty certain that the tube was due south, but I thought that the night before. But I was right, I go down to the platform to wait for a train, then squeeze on the go the one stop, then through a maze of tunnels to the southbound Northern Line.

At least the train had room, but no point in sitting as I was on less than two minutes.

I get the lift to street level, then walk south on the High Street until I come to a park. I double track and on the other side is the venue.

St George in the morning I go in, find the classroom and take a seat and wait.

Wait some more.

And then the instructor, Brian, comes in.

And between eight and nine we wait for the others on the course to arrive. Another five people, including another Ian just to confuse matters.

I am here to become an ISO 45001 lead auditor, more stuff to learn and an exam to pass. My head is already full of stuff, where am I supposed to put this stuff?

Anyway, at nine we get started, and the course lasted until nearly half four.

I had forgotten not only my mobile phone but my allergy medicine, so I have to go in search of a chemists first, and that done and my nose had a good double squirt, I could breath again. But I would be dogged by a chesty cough all night.

I walk to Borough Market, through than and under the railway to Clink Street, and from there to the riverside.

There are fine views over the River to St Paul's and the City.

I take shots.

I walk along the river, past The Globe, Tate Modern to Blackfriars Bridge and then up onto the road above and along to the hotel.

Three hundred and sixteen I have enough time to freshen up then go to look for somewhere to eat, and end up in a burger joint off the main road.

It was busy, but service was great and the burger was good, and not too big.

People rush by, people come in and leave the restaurant. Everyone seems in a hurry.

The Market Trader, Borough Market Except me.

I pay and walk back to the hotel to do my homework, then deal with the problems of trying to call Jools without a phone.

My work laptop won't let me be heard without an external microphone, and no matter what I do it fails to work. In the end I find skype on my home laptop and call Jools.

All is well, though late in the evening, and she is tired. I am tired.

And tomorrow, much the same.

No comments: