Monday 20 July 2020

Sunday 19th July 2020

I have no idea what day it is.

I mean it could be any day. I have been on holiday for 9 days, and every day is pretty much the same. There is football on every day, we listen to the radio, I mean, these things happen any day.

But I believe it to be Sunday.

I did promise myself that I would go on the new cross trainer "after ten" I said.

That was the plan, and i was happy with that.

Kinda.

I lay until twenty five past seven! Jools lays in bed until ten to eight. Maybe we have this relaxing stuff nailed now.

We have coffee. Outside the sky is overcast, and several hours of rain was forecast.

No photography planned.

We have croissants and more coffee for breakfast, and then, just as ten o'clock approached, Jen called, she'll come round for dinner, but can we eat at one?

Yes we can, but it means that there is no time for phys as I have to prepare dinner.

I mix the pudding batter. Perfect.

Weigh, season and put flour on the meat to make sure its cooked perfect and all crispy and peppery.

Peel and cut potatoes, but them onto boil and cook until falling apart so they will crisp up.

Cut and chop vegetables.

All this detail because, outside the rain began to fall. And did not stop until late in the afternoon.

At half eleven, the meat goes on. On high to seal the outside, then 40 minutes to cook. All ready at half twelve, steam the vegetables, put the batter in a smoking hot pan and into the oven for perfect Yorkshire puddings, and put the boiled potatoes into the fryer to cook and make crispy. Finally make gravy with the juices from the meat.

It all comes together at five to one. Jen arrives, which is good. I serve up the food, Jools opens and pours the fizz.

We sit down to eat, and it is almost dark, as the rain falls harder outside, and the cloud is ever thicker.

Man, that was good roast.

And from then in, it was wall to wall football. Which seems to be the way now. However, the old season is coming to an end. There is a new champion of the Football League, deposing Norwich, and next weekend the season ends, at least the PL and FL. There is the FA Cup Final, Play offs and Championship Final, then Europa League and Champions League. By which time it'll be time for the new season to start.

Two hundred and one Even though it is little over 24 hours since I watched these games, I have no idea which games I did watch, or who won. Wait a minute, Leeds won at Derby in the FL, Leeds were already champions, so no surprise there, then Spurs beat Leicester 3-0 before I switch to the laptop to watch Chelsea beat Man Utd easily in the Cup.

Evening light By which time it was quarter past eight, getting dark and time to post pictures of plants on Twitter in #wildflowerhour.

I finish the day drinking three big glasses of 2018 vintage sloe port, and finish the roasted corn kernels, which me crunching must have kept Jools awake.

I float to bed sometime after dark.

No comments: