Friday 15 September 2023

Thursday 14th September 2023

And so, to Thursday.

Up with the larks to check the moth trap. More Light Carpets among other SBJs, which I will strive to identify.

Jools decided to be not quite so driven and so not go swimming, but have a quiet morning before going to work at seven.

Again leaving me with the cats and work with which to fill the day.

A bright, warm still day, perfect for a walk in the countryside looking for butterflies, so once work is done, I put on my boots for a walk across the fields and back on a Clouded Yellow hunt. None found, but a few Large White were around, and a single fresh Painted Lady which I chased for 5 minutes across the field.

Two hundred and fifty seven Along the lane, Ivy is in flower and among the usual insects were a few Ivy Bees, so I snapped one.

Then walked home.

I have been watching videos on how to make "proper" Bolognaise sauce, so spent most of the afternoon hunched over a pan in the kitchen stirring the ragu. To the onion, carrot, celery, meat you add just salt, pepper and water. And a glass of red wine, but allow lots of time for the ragu to bubble and simmer, those flavours getting richer.

Vanessa cardui Then serve with fresh Pappardelle pasta, mixed in pan with some of the water which cooked the pasta so the ragu sticks to the pasta.

Canna It works.

And was glorious.

The recipe said to add some full cream milk before serving, we had none but had some leftover mascarpone which was full cream, and that was delicious in the ragu.

Hummy I was sitting on the patio with Scully, when the fox came and sat looking at me, apparently requesting I put some food out. I put some out, which he ate, then sat looking at me for some more, which I put out.

He is looking splendid now, his fur and brush deep red and luxurious. We did a good job there.

And so, that is another day done, Friday tomorrow, and then the weekend.

No comments: