Friday 3 August 2018

Thursday 2nd August 2018

And with each day the temperature rises, but although its warm enough here, in Spain and Portugal, there is talk of breaking the all time European temperature of 48 degrees. Or something. I once worked in temperatures of 112 degrees, it was so hot that you would work for 15 or 20 minutes, and you would stop sweating as all fluid in your body was used up, giving you 5 minutes to get to the crewroom to rehydrate.

A summer butterfly hunt But not that hot here. At least, yet.

A summer butterfly hunt It is another day working from home, so not much else to report, just put out the bins first thing, take them back down the drive once they been emptied,, and inbetween run two meetings, te second where I am apparently, my boss's boss.

A summer butterfly hunt That done I have more documents to complete, lunch to make and eat, and all the while it gets hotter and hotter.

A summer butterfly hunt In the afternoon I go out for a walk, over the fields to check on whether I could find a the Silver Washed Fritillary again. On the way I searched for Holy Blues on the lane, and found two, one was even possible to photograph it, but not well. But the real shock is the fruit; elderberries are ripening. Sloes are already rope, and blackberries are fattening up and turning dark.

A summer butterfly hunt The year presses on.

Tansey In the glade and along the path, it being the hottest part of the day, not much to snap. I did get a Large Skipper on a dried stem of grass, but all the rest, Common Blues, Brown Argus, peacocks, Red Admirals and Brimstones along with Large Whites, were roosting in deep undergrowth of on the wing, not settling.

Two hundred and thirteen I walk back, over the fields, back to te house and made a pint of iced squash.

Artichokes Near to five Mulder and Scully emerge, eat a couple of mouthfuls and then find somewhere to sleep the rest of the warmest part of the day through. Molly comes back an hour later, no real change, and causing me great cause of concern.

Elderberries I make dinner; yet more aubergine, my shares in the company are kept so high mainly by my purchases.

Sloes At least cooking takes 15 minute tops, so the kitchen doesn't really get hot, and so dinner is light and fabulous. We do have the penultimate slices of tart for dessert, and needless to say that is wonderful, as the flavours deepen with each day.

Thistle Down And that is it. Another day down, and tomorrow is Friday and after that the weekend.

No comments: