Saturday 15 February 2020

Friday 14th February 2020

St Valentine's Day.

Being a Friday, Jools is not at work, but had a day of stuff planned, meaning apart from being up half an hour earlier, so she could make the early yoga class, it was as usual for me.

Jools had made a coffee, and then she got ready, leaving the house at quarter past six, and I went up the stairs to do a session on the cross trainer before I could change my mind. And very good the session was too.

Before I went up, there was a red glow on the horizon showing where the sun was just out of sight. By the time I had finished, the sun was closer to rising, and had moved further south, but even still, when it did rise it is now a good 30 degrees further east than it was back at Christmas, sowing that spring is very near now.

I had a shower, then filled the bird feeders and make breakfast, meaning I was all ready to start work dead on eight.

And as a reward, I had two hours of meetings. Should have been half an hour, but once we quality professionals get started talking, there's no stopping us!

So, the morning passes. At midday Jools comes back home, car laden with shopping. Once that was put away, I make fresh rolls for lunch, and a fresh brew.

Cooking on gas now.

But come two it was time to pack up, as I had an appointment at the opticians, as it has been a few years.

But, and this is where I have to be honest, for the last few weeks, I have seen flashing lights in my left eye when I blinked when it was dark. The shapes are rather like that of a Winter Heliotrope, just a flash and then went.

I said nothing to anyone.

But in the passing of time, the flashes didn't go away, so, I booked an appointment. On Thursday they rang up to see if there were any issues, and I said about the flashing lights. THey were concerned, but said to come in as normal.

So I did. When I described the lights and conditions to the optician, it was decided to skip the eye test and do a medical check on my eyes. So, I had the puff of air in each eye, then a 3D photo taken of each.

Forty five Drops were applied to dilate my pupils, and the tests repeated.

Good news is that nothing was found, but, the symptoms are for a detached retina, and if the flashed got worse and were continued to be ignored, I could have gone blind.

Eeek. No need to say how bad that would be for me as a photographer.

I now know what to look for and actions to be taken if they do, and the consequences if I don't.

Phew.

With the drops making lights so bright, Jools had to drive us home, then once home I lay in the darkened living room until the drops wore off.

Fafner I was then able to make nachos for dinner, and drink well from a litre bottle of Danish beer.

It had been a long and stressful day, so we relax by watching more of Good Omens before going to bed nine.

No comments: