Saturday 8 February 2020

Friday 7th February 2020

Beer festival day.

Yay.

Details might be a little blurry as the day goes on.

Just sayin'.

Being a Friday, Jools has yoga, swimming, shopping and an added session of Betty-sitting for Jen whilst Jen does yoga or zumba.

Or something.

All of which means that I am home alone from quarter past six, so rather than put if off, I go straight and do a session on the cross trainer, another 25 minutes meaning that I have done an extra 20 through the week, like an extra session. I was "entertained" by Bob Dylan, Prince, The Hoodoo Gurus, Simple Minds among others.

Thirty eight All of this meant I was done by quarter to seven, and after a cool down, I am showered and all lovely by half seven, had breakfast and ready for work at quarter to eight.

And so onto three hours or so of intensive work. I have some of the best most intensive work. Bigly.

I have a meeting with my boss, and suddenly its time to decide how to get into town; bus or taxi. Bus is £4.40 or taxi is a tenner. I ring for a taxi.

Obviously.

That arrives at ten to twelve, and drops me off outside Maison Dieu just gone five past midday, there was no queue to get in. Yet.

So, I walk to Greggs for a sausage roll, wander back and then climb the steps to the doorway, where I find six thirstier people than I already there.

I join them, and soon we are all chatting about other festivals, beers and so on.

Time drags slowly.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, 2002 And dead on one, the doors are opened and all us card-carrying CAMRA members file in, show our cards and buy or glass and first batch of beer tokens.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, 2002 I had studied the beer list in the leaflet, so after bagging a chair at one of the long tables, go to half a pint of "Black Taxi to the Moon" by Angels and Demons, which, according to the tasting notes: "impeccably balanced smoked London porter. Full bodied bitter chocolate and underlining sweetness aids the complexity of this ebony vixen." To me was overdone and too bitter to my taste.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, 2002 I drink it anyway.

I met up with my friend, Steve, who came down from London for the festival, we shared beers and comments whilst catching up.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, 2002 Through the afternoon I also try:

Calico Jack (6.2%)
Evil Thieves Batch B (5.1%)
Trotty Veck (5.0%)
Goa Express (5.4%)
K9 Tripelphena (7.0%)
Comfortably Numb (5.0%)
Stay Puft (5.2%)

Best one was Calico Jack which finished my selection, and finished me. Jools came at four to rescue me, taking me home where no more beer could tempt me.

In a bold move, I make dinner, warmed up ragu with pasta and garlic bread. I don't remember much about it, but was edible, and I washed down with a couple of glasses of red wine.

Was that wise? probably not.

No comments: