Thursday 27 February 2020

Wednesday 26th February 2020

Rest day. From phys.

And after four sessions in two days, it felt like cheating to do none, but rest is as important. I know I'm not running a marathon or cycling round New Zealand, but even still, pays to be careful. And with nearly three weeks at home, lots of time to get plenty of phys in, and soon enough it'll be light enough to go for a walk when Jools comes home. In fact, on Wednesday she was earlier than usual, back at twenty five to six, and was still light outside. It did fade quick, but the years grows ever older.

And after a week of wind and rain, how great to wake up with clear skies and the promise of a nice day, even if the weather was turning colder, cold enough for snow in East Anglia and further north.

But not here.

So, Jools got ready, and I lazed around until she had left. Had an early breakfast listening to a podcast before getting down to work, setting up the office and dealing with the issues of the day.

Fifty seven Through the day I go out whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, and I see that the Snake's Head Fritillaries, at least those in the old wheelbarrow, not only have sprouted, but two have formed buds on each stem. This is two weeks ahead of usual, and thinking how the imperialis were the same, then I put two and two together and ponder the possibilities of orchids flowering next month!

Eeeek!

Mulder So much to do and so little time with work getting in the way.

At the end of the day I have an early lunch of yet another cheese toastie, and overcook it so the bread is thin and crispy and covered in cheese that had leaked out, also very crispy. Simple food, but lovely.

I make a bowl of hot and spicy salsa to go with the nachos we were to have for dinner, made in enough time so the flavours could marinade and get stronger. That was the plan.

Sundown at St Maggies Outside, the sun set in the west, not going down until well after five now. Warm golden light played on the trees and valley sides overlooked by the kitchen window. It looked fabulous.

Sundown at St Maggies I took a few shots, and again when Jools came home as dark clouds brought an end to the day.

Sundown at St Maggies Lets eat!

I was listening to the football in the evening, when the phone rang:

Ian?

Well, let me explain. I am an only child. As were both Mum and Dad, so no aunts, uncles, nieces nephews, cousins, etc. But there are more distant relations. Maureen and Donald live in Hemel Hemstead, north of that London, and it is thirty five years since I last saw them. I found their address in an old contact book of mine, thirty years old, and to be honest, I wasn't sure if they were alive or not. But, I wrote to them before Christmas to let them know what happened to Mum.

And I heard nothing.

Until last night.

Now, one thing you should know about Donald is that he has an obsession. He likes orchids.

Yeah, how freaky is that? But he grows his own exotic orchids in a heated shed-cum-greenhouse in his back garden. I do have memories of looking in and seeing exotic flowers growing from bits of tree bark.

So, what are you doing with yourself these days? He asked after he had introduced himself.

Well, I said, this might tickle your interest, but I photograph native hardy orchids.

So, we talked about orchids for quarter of an hour, ones I have seen, the ones he has seen and grown and places to visit in France and beyond. I then told him of the Kent church project, and how that is going, and he was really pleased that I had these hobbies that are a bit unusual.

Sadly, Maureen had Parkinson's, and cannot come to the phone, and when I suggested visiting, he was unsure. But we did cover a bit about Mum, though not in any great detail, so after half an hour the call ended.

And that was that, really. More football, some sloe gin and bed at ten.

1 comment:

nztony said...

Cycling around New Zealand, who would do that! (and why, when there's roads in the UK.)