Tuesday 26 July 2022

Monday 25th July 2022

I knew the weekend was going to be tough.

But Monday was going to be the worst.

After two large Mai Tais the night before, and less than six hours of broken sleep. I looked in the bathroom mirror and saw two bloodshot eyes staring back at me.

Oh God.

At least there would be a heary breakfast.

So, at seven I go down and have orange juice, and another fry up with sausage, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms and a fried slice.

And coffee.

Not as much as I needed. But it would do.

Now.

A couple of months ago, I bumped into a member of my orchid group, Graham, at PGD, and he introduced me to his friend, another Graham, and Graham 2 asked f I was going to see the Irish Lady's Tresses.

I was.

He would have a camper van, but was staying near the bog, could I give him a lift so he didn't have to take his van and disabled wife.

I would.

That was two months ago. Now it was the day, and all I had was a postcode and his phone number. But I also had plenty of time. So, after loading up the car, I said goodbye to Bob and Cath after paying the bill, and programed the reserve and then the camp site as a stopover.

Here be orchids I had an hour, but on these Welsh roads, it could take longer.

To add to the dram of the day, it was overcast and drizzling. The valleys would remain green.

Apparently.

I went to Welshpool, then to Newtown, along the bypass and towards the coast. Stuck behind a train of flatbed lorries, I made steady if unspectacular time. At least the road ran beside the railway, so I knew I was heading in the right direction.

Here be orchids After passing through a small gorge, I came to where the postcode said the camping site should be. And it was. I drove in and parked up and called Graham 2.

There was no signal.

I tried again. And again.

No luck.

Maybe, if i go to the top of the site I could get a signal?

So, up the camping site, passing vans and tents until I got to the very top.

And after a couple of minutes, I got a signal and called Graham 2. He picked up and had seen me drive by, so I went to pitch 22 and there he was, standing at the door of a very small camper. Inside were his wife and three dogs. I went in for a brew, and stodd as most flat surfaces was taken with dogs and their beds.

Here be orchids We left at just gone nine, a 40 minute drive to Borth, beside the railway again.

Our joining instructions mentioned a cafe nearby, so we called in there for another brew and for me a slice of fruit cake. I thought I'd check my phone for news, but again no signal.

Spiranthes romanzoffiana We left for the final two mile drive at twenty past ten, being the second car to arrive, we were sent down the track to the small parking area.

We were here to see an orchid called Irish Lady's Tresses, which had been found on the site in 2019, which for the species tick meant not having to go to Ireland. We will get to Ireland at some point, but it would be longer than a day trip.

Spiranthes romanzoffiana In the bog beyond the gate was a small area surrounded by an electrified fence, and in there was over 20 small orchids. We had to wait for the warden to disarm the fence, but a few plants were near enough to get half decent shots.

Once the warden arrived, as well as other HOS members, we were allowed inside the fence. A rope was placed over whch we were not to step, but was close enough to get fine close ups of the orchid spikes.

Two hundred and six We take turns in getting shots, some more serious than others. I get mine, so after twenty minutes I say to Graham 2, shall we go?

We shall.

Once back in the car, I program the camp site back in and we set off, down the track to the lane, and from there began the long journey home.

Graham 2 used to be an auditor, so we swapped auditor horror stories until I dropped him off, and there was peace and quiet in the car. I had no idea how long the drive back would be, I though I'd do well to be home by eight, the sat nav said ten past five.

Spiranthes romanzoffiana Let us see.

I drove back the same way I had drove that morning, back alomost to Oswestry before picking up the A5 and at that point the road improved, and I could make good time.

Toe Telford and the start of the motorway, passing RAF Cosford where I had spent 28 months of my life in two spells of training in the RAF. Just a museum now, it seems.

Spiranthes romanzoffiana I cut across to the toll road again, as the services on it are better and quieter than others, and worth the six quid for the 30 mile drive.

I stopped to fill up and buy lunch: a pasty, Snickers and vanilla diet Coke. Nearly £90 to fill up now.

Eeek.

Back on the motorway, eating as I went, heading south onto the M6, and then cutting across on the A14 passing Northampton and Cambridge before picking up the M11.

All was going well until the road from Norwich, the A11, joined and there was a ten minute hold up before I got through.

And as I went further south the weather got better and better. I had Craig on the radio, and so the journey sped by.

Over the Dartford Crossing and onto the A2, and all seemed to be going well.

I was getting close to home, though slow traffic meant it would be nearer six when I should have got home.

That was until I reached the turn off to Dover at the end of the motorway, and a shunt on the slip road meant I decided to head along Thanet Way rather than wait in traffic, only to be caught in another jam near to Whitstable.

I turned off to Canterbury, hoping to either go through Fordwich or along to Grove Ferry. As there had just been a train and traffic was bad, I went to Grove Ferry, then across the marshed to Preston.

Jools called: could I get dinner on the way?

Yes.

So, I went to Deal hoping to find a chippy to park outside. The ones on the Stand had camper vans parked outside, but the one in Walmer had spaces, and a full shelf ofready cooked food. I got batter sausage and chips, twice, added salt and vinegar, which were then wrapped.

I called Jools: I'll be five minutes, so she made brews, so once parked on the drive we could sit down and eat.

I was shattered.

I checked my shots from the two days, edited one for each day, and I was done.

Time for bed.

No comments: