Saturday 18 March 2023

Friday 17th March 2023

St Patrick's Day (Ireland and Boston).

So we come to the end of the week, and as has been the case for some time, a day of the week that used to have wall to wall meetings, now doesn't. In fact, when I checked my calendar, I had nothing scheduled.

Which was nice.

Very nice.

Jools didn't go to yoga due to her regular teacher being off, so knowing she woudn't enjoy it, she laid in instead.

Which was also nice.

After a shower and getting dressed, she left for work. I put the bins out and started the day. Outside it was warmer, which was all relative, but without the sun still felt chilly. I was going to go out for a walk, but in the end, didn't.

Seventy six I ploughed on with work, getting stuff done, and taking calls and queries.

I had made soup earlier in the week with the leftover "Brexit" frozen vegetables. I pepped it with curry powder. Anyway, I had the last of that with the crust of the spicy bread I had also made.

Jools came back at two, and I finished for the day. We had a brew, and then watched more History fo Britain, this time about the Empire, founded on slavery, and made the motherland very rich indeed. And how it lost America defending what it thought was freedom, but was the opposite. And then went to India and completed the task of subjegating a population, brutally putting down any opposition there. There is a battle at the moment here for the truth about the empire, some critising any mention of slavery in the story of Empire.

Slavery and the owning of slaves was, of course, legal here. Even when it became illegal to own slaves here, it was still legal to trade in them elsewhere.

Sigh.

With Jools being away next Friday, we went early to Jen's for a lazy supper and then cards, at which Jools and I were triumphant. We only play for pennies: in Meld the winner (with the fewest points) wins the kitty of 40p, and in Queenie, the pot might be a couple of quid. We're not going to lose the house.

Jools drove us home, the roads quiet, and back home the cats demanding second suppers and then that we go to bed.

It was the weekend.

No comments: