Friday 8 March 2024

Thursday 7th March 2024

I am mad.

Clearly.

I have all day to travel back home, but here I am , catching the six o'clock ferry from East Cowes, sitting now on the deck, taking photographs as we cast off.

Sixty seven Because I am mad.

I have a couple of places to visit on the way home, so I catch the early ferry, missing breakfast at the hotel. I could have had breakfast and caught the ferry at nine, but that would have meant battling traffic in and out of Newport due to the Floating Bridge being out of action.

Leaving Cowes So here I am.

Taking shots.

It is the blue hour. Or is it the pink hour in the morning?

Leaving Cowes I don't know. But sunrise is half an hour away, the engines tone rises, calm water on the river turn to foam, and we move off.

Leaving Cowes Once the ferry leaves the river, I go back downstairs and buy a coffee and a Twix, then go to the back lounge to see the island blend into the murk of dawn's shadows.

Leaving Cowes The ferry is only 10% full, so plenty of room to spread out and pretend that there's no other people about. I could have gone back up to snap Southampton in the golden light as the sun had risen, but instead I just sit and wait for the call to return to your cars.

Leaving Cowes I program the sat nav, so once we were docked and tied up, I was one of the first off, and was soon heading north to the motorway and away from the Southampton rush hour.

Traffic was heavy, but I made good progress, allowing me to stop at Fleet services for breakfast in Costa, before pressing on to the M25 and the chaos that drive east would be.

Traffic much heavier than it was three weeks back, meaning I was half an hour later, which I didn't mind, as the church I planned to visit would be more likely to be unlocked at half nine rather than nine.

Otford, Kent West Kent is picturesque, full of pretty villages full of former merchant's houses, now seamlessly turned into what used to be called the stockbroker belt.

Otford was a village, now a suburb of Sevenoaks, the ancient centre of the village is around the pond, and around the edge of the green is the pub and the church.

St Bartholomew, Otford, Kent A parking space outside the papershop offered half an hour's free parking, so I abandoned the car there and limped over the main road to the church, showing well through the bare trees, just waking up as spring arrives.

St Bartholomew, Otford, Kent A modern church centre sits to the north, and having tried the west and south doors, I try going through the church centre, and the doors swing open into the church, no one else was inside.

There was a grand monument, the west wall covered in hatchings and the east window in the Chancel had several Flemish painted panels of saints arranged into a cross.

I take many, many shots.

I am back at the car within the half hour, and a three mile drive away through the rolling countryside is the next target, Kemsing.

We had been here before, but the porch door was locked, but the parish website promised it would be open from nine. And it was.

St Mary, Kemsing, Kent John Vigar's description stated that access to the Chancel would not be possible, which confused me, but the large arts and crafts recreation of the rood screen, was locked, and the door through the vestry was also out of bounds.

St Mary, Kemsing, Kent So I took shots through the screen, not ideal, but better than nothing, and I think they came out well.

It was time to go home. So, back in the car I program my phone, and it leads me back to the M20, and from there I know the way.

Lots of trucks and lorries also heading south, but I cruise past them. Its a fine day to be driving, the sun is breaking through the low cloud and mist, making for a pleasant drive.

I have also judged the fuel well, so don't need to refill before stopping at the car hire office.

They give it the once over, I tell them the things which are not working on te brand new car, they make notes, and I am done.

Emma drives me back to St Maggies, dropping me off on Station Road. I walk along to Chez Jelltex, check the garden for new flowers and growth, then go onside.

The cats sleep on, and I am overcome with weariness. MY knee is aching, I am out of painkillers, but massage it, nd its a little better.

I have brunch and a brew, listen to some podcasts, have a shower, unpack the suitcase.

Phew.

It now stays light until gone six, meaning we could have gone for a walk before dinner. But not at the moment. So I cook hash for dinner, which was ten minutes away from being done by the time Jools got home.

So we eat and drink wine.

One day and the weekend will be here.

No comments: