Saturday 30 March 2024

Friday 29th March 2024

It is two months since I knacked my knee. Five days before we went to Iceland. I suffered pretty badly during the trip, and the week after. But the tear did mend, but what I have now is sore tendons, which will improve as I walk more and strengthen the muscles.

So, one day walk, one day rest is pretty much the plan for now.

Orchids have been photographed and posted on social media for two weeks now, and I have so wanted to get out, but really wasn't worth hurting myself further, but with a four day weekend, I thought I could get away with two trips to the woods, one at Earley on Friday and then to Yockletts on Sunday or Monday.

At least we had no shopping to do.

Though there was the back room to do. And to help get that done, Jools recruited JP from where she works who does odd jobs and has tools, to come and help.

Or in reality, do most of the work, though Jools would help, and I would supply food and drink.

Jools and I had breakfast, then after clearing away, I went out laden with camera, for a walk in the woods, while Jools waited for JP, who had not avoided the traffic we had warned him about.

Eighty nine Yes, with the schools Easter holidays not beginning until Thursday afternoon, it meant that Good Friday was the big getaway day. Or sit in traffic for hours day.

Back to the woods Not as bad as last year, but the A20 was stationary from Hawkinge, and Jubilee Way was jammed over halfway, going out meant avoiding these places and routes.

I drove up the A2, turning off to go through Bridge, then to Lower Hardres, through Waltham and to the wood. There was one other car there, though I saw no one.

I took a walking pole, just in case, and good job I did as there was much, and so was slippery, and me not too confident on my feet.

Anemonoides nemorosa I walked down through the meadow, the ground falling away downhill, so each step felt like my feet would slip away from under me at any moment.

But I was fine. Then down the path to the Early Purples, where the first few had rosettes, and two further on had colour at the end of their spikes and were unfurling, but actual flowers in bloom.

Cytisus scoparius But there were others: carpets of Wood anemones, Lesser celandines and bluebells just beginning to open. Though not "peak bluebell", yet.

The other path towards the farm was blocked by fallen trees from last winter and new ones from this, and before I got to the hollow where the orchids grew, I decided to turn back.

There was no phone signal, so couldn't check the traffic, so decided to turn off at Barfrestone then go to Eythorne and on to West Langdon, East Langdon to St Maggies.

I got home just before twelve, just before JP arrived having got out of the traffic, so they began to open the packages from Ikea and working out what went where and which parts were either missing or wrong.

Meanwhile, I mixed the dough and then let it rise for saffron buns. We would feat on these for lunch!

Saffron Buns They worked hard all afternoon, while I nursed my knee and listened to football, with Norwich playing at three.

City came from behind to win 2-1 against Plymouth and so stay 6th.

Jools and JP finish at half six, halfway through. I cook hash for us, and we eat just after seven, with JP heading home straight after. He is coming back Saturday, and hope to be done by lunch.

No comments: