Saturday 27 June 2020

Friday 26th June 2020

Friday arrives, like a long-lost brother, emerging from the steam of an ancient steam engine, as the weather changed, and instead of waking to pastel shaded skies, we had thick sea fog.

And once the fog cleared, rainclouds swept in from the east, dropping much needed rain onto the east Kent countryside.

In fact, I checked the storm radar and found an active storm cell drifting up the Channel, and through the open window we could hear the distant rumbles.

Jools was to go and do yoga on the seafront again, but as she was leaving the house, she got a call from the class leader saying that due to the approaching storm, it would now be online. So, Jools had to quickly set up her mat and stuff in the front room, log on to the site, remember her password and so on.

I had slept badly thanks to my shoulder, and I thought about going on the cross trainer, and I knew I couldn't.

So, instead, I get dressed and stand at the back door to watch the lighting and amazed at where all the water for rain so heavy came from. One minute there was no rain, next it was hammering down. Poor hoverflies and bees caught out in the downpour, tried to shelter in the plant they were feeding at.

I make breakfast as once I started work, it was three and a half hours of meetings. I cut fruit and pour on yogurt, then leave Jools to make coffee once she has finished yoga, and i was in my first meeting.

I straight into an auditor's coordination meeting, where several auditors talk about audits and their finer technical points. Auditing is never going to replace football as a national obsession and so audit punditry is not going to challenge footy phone-ins either. I have to break away after two hours as I have a meeting with my boss, and all seems to be going so well. It really is rather pleasing.

Small Tortoiseshell Aglais urticae Permission to activate "smug" mode, boss?

And so at half eleven, meetings done, time for lunch, more brews and tie up some loose ends.

WSC #400 Outside the storms had faded, and the clouds had broken and it was to be a fine afternoon. I had plans....

At three, I finish work, pack up and we jump in the car to head up to Maidstone to check on a reserve where they have a fine collection of Broad Leaved Helleborines. Probably a bit early, but many spikes were already open elsewhere in the country. So, we might get lucky.

We go up the A20 then the M20 through Folkestone and Ashford, the sky was wonderfully blue, but with many budding storm cells forming nearby, we might get wet?

Ringlet Aphantopus hyperantus Just off the main road up Detling Hill, we turn off and into the sleepy village, park at the far end, near to the entrance to the reserve. I take my camera and ring flash, first of all looking for the rare Yellow Birdsnest which was there a couple of years back. But all along the path under the fir trees, there was no sign. It was the same story the week before at Barham. Might still be early.

White Admiral Limenitis camilla Onwards to the meadow, and plenty to see on the woodland path: Stinking Iris, butterflies. I was transfixed as I saw a White Admiral gliding round a clearing, settling over and over on the same leaf, though too far to get a good shot. Doesn't stop me trying, though.

One hundred and seventy eight The meadow was a festival of colour; mainly Rosebay Wiloowherb and a couple of species of St John's Wort, but all full of polinators, including the first Gatekeeper I have seen this year. I snap that too.

At the far end, I struggle to find an orchid spike, but once I orient myself, I see a few spikes unfurling, some poised to flower. But not quite.

All a bit disappointing to be honest.

I make do with snapping a couple of Pyramidals next to the path on the way back.

We drive home, back along the M2 and A2, the former was very busy indeed, though most did carry on along Thanet Way towards Margate, and so the A2 towards Dover was much quieter.

It seems normality has returned, and a family trip to the seaside is very much a thing once again.

Back home we have a coffee and a Magnum, before it is time to leave the house again, for another cards night.

We pick up John on the way, arriving early so we can have a chat, then on with the serious business, and once again Jools and I clear up, winnig all the pots of cash in the two games. Though not the penny a point game of the previous week, but still, we leave for home with huge smiles.

Back home at half ten, I was full or tripel and red wine, so needed no nightcap.

Good night.

No comments: