Saturday 6 June 2020

Friday 5th June 2020

Constitution Day (Denmark)

Denmark is closed. All down the pub or getting their hair cut. Or getting their hair cut before going to the pub for pickled herring.

Or something.

It does mean that there is no early morning meeting to attend, so I could lay in bed all day if I wanted. Or just start late.

Although able to lay in, needless to say we were awake soon after five, all ready for the day.

Bah.

I was first down for a change, so feed the cats, although they're not too sure why its me, then I make first drinks of the day.

And as Jools gets ready for another online yoga class, I go upstairs to gird my loins for the last session the trainer this week. I can say that it has been easier this week, after the five day weekend a couple of weeks back, got me out of practice.

I listen to the radio now, try to avoid the news broadcasts, and it isn't as good as having an i pod, but I can manage.

I lay on the bed to cool down, Mulder comes to check if I am OK, and to receive a stroke on his head. I have a shower, get dressed and make breakfast once downstairs, timing it just so as its all ready when Jools finishes her class. And the big news is that next week they are going to try an outdoor class, whilst observing social distancing, of course.

Even by recent standards, it was a quiet morning. Only my UK colleagues in, so my Skype dashboard showed lots of out of office messages.

I work until midday, at which point we had received a call that our order was ready at the butchers. One last look at my empty in box and "to do" list, and I power down for the weekend.

Yay.

Things are pretty back to normal, as far as traffic is concerned, quite heavy traffic to Sandwich, the greasy spoons were open and doing brisk business, as lorry drivers need bacon butties even in a pandemic.

One hundred and fifty seven We head out over the marshes to Preston, through the fruit trees to the village. We park at the garden centre where all other visitors had parked in alternate spaces, not sure social distancing was needed when in cars, but there you go.

Socially distanced parking Jools goes to the garden centre and I go to the butchers where the order was all bagged up and ready. I swap a few words wil Mark. He is hopeful they have come through the worse, and have many new customers too.

I meet Jools as she comes out of the garden centre, she had been taking shots of pots for our neighbour, Waler, wh Jools did shopping for earlier.

Back home for lunch; ham rolls and a brew. Followed by fruit and cream filled choux buns. Naughty, but nice.

Summer shower And that was the afternoon, really. We waited for the forecasted rain to come, which it faled to do, and then, when it should been sunny, the heavens opened, so we opened the doors and windows to let that fine smell of damp soil flood into the house. Which is called Petrichor, so now you know too.

We had courgette fritters for lunch, along with some wine, which explains our lethargy up to four in the afternoon, and the start of the weekend.

We listen to the radio, play Uckers, and I nearly eight-piece Jools, but unable to roll a 1 for a few rounds to get my last piece home.

But victory was mine!

We go to bed at nine, but I remember that the full moon was due to rise at a minute past, and should still have been in partial eclipse. So, we wait at the bathroom window to see it rise above the houses the other side of the Dip.

It was cloudy, but after 20 minutes the full moon cleared the last of the whispy clouds, and seemed to just hang in the sky, silver and large. As we watched, a fox entered our garden from Steve and Bev's, it checked the feeder, but was soon chased off by Mulder who was full of the spirit of the chase.

The fox just jumped onto the hedge next door, and looked down at Mulder, meowing and pacing around.

We left them to it.

No comments: