Monday 29 June 2020

Sunday 28th June 2020

"Unseasonably windy".

So said the actress to the vicar.

IIt was Sunday, and although it was indeed windy, I wanted to go out to do some snapping. I really, really wanted to go up Lydden Down to search for a hyper-rare inter-species hybrid, but already at seven in the morning, the wind was blowing. Si, alternative plans had to be made.

A couple of years ago I came across an unusual BLH spike. I posted pictures at the time, but my suggestion it was a hybrid between the Broad Leaved and Violet Helleborine was, if not rubbished, not taken that seriously. But I know what I saw. So we could go back there, and there were other orchid spikes around.

One hundred and eighty So, the plan was set; a long woodland walk, and be on the lookout for rare orchids and butterflies.

We skipped breakfast, but then had to call into the garage on the A2 before leaving Dover for a sustaining pasty and a drink to keep us going.

Off the A2, the lanes were full of Lycra-clad cyclists. Most were considerate, some were not. But we didn't get held up.

We arrived at the reserve car park at eight, cloudy and windy, but among the trees it would be quite still, and good for butterflies.

Ringlet Aphantopus hyperantus I strap my camera across my shoulder, and we set off down the long woodland drive. Eyes left and right looking for something, anything interesting. And there is much, but just of botanic interest. Foxglove, greater knapweed in huge numbers, hogweed, nipplewort and many, many others. But few insects, but it was early and cool.

Large Skipper Ochlodes sylvanus Suddenly in a hedgerow caught in sunlight, a dozen or more Ringlet butterflies were all about; basking and feeding and generally looking for a good time, big boy.

I snap one which was basking in long grass, its upper wings all dark brown, looking quite dull.

We walk on.

Country Road Up the hill, and the orchids begin to appear. Mostly CSOs and the occasional Pyramidal. I see nothing particularly rare, and most were going to seed, but some were still worth snapping, so I do.

Common Spotted Orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii And up the track we come to a bank, and among the tall grass are a few BLH spikes, still in bud, and the suspect hybrid, looking different already. I snap it from all angles and will add to my file of evidence.

Epipactis x schulzei I snap more CSO before we turn off and go through the main part of the reserve, looking a rare moth, which has probably mated and died off.

As we walked back to the car, an unexpected rain cloud dumped 5 minutes of heavy rain on us, turning the fine morning into a bit of a trek, back up the slope to the car.

Common Spotted Orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii Sigh.

But it soon stopped, and we were back at the car. No other plans, so we drove back home for a brew and some fruit.

Being a Sunday, something special for lunch: rib eye steaks, fried sliced jacket potatoes, garlic mushrooms and sauteed asparagus. And white fizz.

Common Spotted Orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii And it was a triumph.

But the fine meal and wine meant the afternoon was spent trying to stay awake. Which we fail to do, we both are snoring loudly as we watch a recent Sky at Night.

The football, FA Cup 6th round, did not really interest me, and I find I had missed a whole tie, and the first half of the second.

I wasn't disappointed.

The evening was spent watching another FA Cup game, I already have forgotten who was playing or the score.

It is the modern way.

An just like that, another weekend had whizzed by.

No comments: