Saturday 8 September 2018

Friday 7th September 2018

Time to go home.

It has been a hell of a week, and I am worn out, but work is now under control, and I am able to stop worrying about it.

The alarm goes off at half five, half four UK time, outside it was just getting light, or that might have been my imagination. I have a shower, get dressed and pack.

Once last check around the room, and I can go. In my case are seven bottles of beer, and I had barely enough clothes to wrap round them, hope they all make it.

I pay the bill, walk outside then into the parking garage to find the car, put the case and my work bag in.

Time to go.

It was getting light, but the sky looked angry, indeed once I had driven out of the city and onto the motorway, the heavens opened and rain poured down. I can't say if it ever got fully light, but I'm sure that it got darker as the clouds threw more rain down.

Driving was horrible, standing water everywhere, so I eased off some, and concentrated, at least Danish driver are quite sensible, but then Audi drivers seem to be the same the world over.

I turn off the motorway, and drive along the road to Billund, at least this felt safer, and I felt I would be OK.

I arrived at the airport at twenty past seven, later than I normally am, but there was no queues anywhere, I dropped my case off, went through security, then once in the departure hall, I order a cheese roll, Danish pastry and a large coffee from the cafe, there was no queue there either.

Two hundred and forty nine I only had 20 minutes to wait before the flight was called, but I seemed to be the only one walking to the gate, but when I get there I find the other four passengers on the flight are already there. Yes, just four passengers.

We board, and as I leave the terminal, the stewardess, Anna-Marie waves at me, as lets be honest, I use the flight so much I know the staff by their first name!

Packed flight I get on, but I am tired, so with a choice of seats, I take a double on the other side of the plane from where I usually sit, and close my eyes, missing second breakfast and coffee, but sleep is good.

I wake up as the curving coast of East Anglia could be seen, making out the little bump where Lowestoft sticks out into the North Sea to be the most easterly point. Down the Essex coast, over Bradwell with its nuclear power station and ancient church on the wall, before turning west down the Thames estuary, flying just off Southend then along over Canvey and Thamesport.

Clouds We touch down with no drama, taxi to gate 7, and after a short wait, allowed off to enter the terminal, walking to the border, passport scanned and I am home.

Queues everywhere.

Inbound to LCY I get my case, which doesn't smell of beer, which is a good sign, and make for the exit and the DLR station.

I look at my watch, just not enough time to get to Stratford before the quarter to ten train, so I will have the best part of an hour to wait.

Inbound to LCY No worries.

The train isn't full, but busy enough, it was now half nine, and most people at work or their kids at school. I look out the window at the everchanging London cityscape, new buildings going up everywhere.

At Stratford, I have a look round the shopping centre, but nothing grabs me, not even some artisan bread at a fiver a loaf! No matter how good it might be, my life won't be better because I make a jam and crisp sandwich from bread that costs a fiver a loaf.

Inbound to LCY I go to the cafe and have my usual, though this time its nearly lunch.

I go down to catch the train, walking to the end of the platform and wait a few minutes. The train arrived on time, and I get on once it stops, stowing my case on a rack and taking a seat on my favourite side of the train. Next stop Dover.

Inbound to LCY I get a taxi from Dover, the driver chats and fills me in with local news. Mostly rain and cruise ship arrival times, if I'm honest, but it beats talking about audits.

He drops me off at the end of the road, and I walk down to Chez Jelltex, Scully bounding over when she sees its me. So, once inside, I feed her some fresh food, and put the kettle on.

I am amazed how tired I am, I find strength to carry my brew to the sofa and watch a recording of Sunday's football, now very out of date.

I have to do some work, sent a mail out, update a spreadsheet and I am done!

When Jools comes back, we have a magnum each sitting in the back garden, as the sun comes out for a while, making it feel like summer again.

We are bot hungry, so at four I begin to make dinner, chorizo hash, if you're taking notes. Just about all that is on the fridge to be honest, but it is good, warming food.

I have a shower, and we get ready to watch The Don, but Jools and I struggle to stay awake. It's like a big comforting blanket, all wrapped up in niceness.

Time for bed.

No comments: