Friday 7 September 2018

Thursday 6th September 2018

I woke up to another fine day in Aarhus, woken by dawn's weak light pouring through the picture windows on two sides of the room.

I could have laid in bed until eight, instead I am up and about at six, showered and dressed and ready for breakfast soon after half past, when the restaurant opens. Not a huge choice, but they did a line in home made nutella, which was rather good on a freshly buttered roll.

And there was coffee.

I drive to the office, with some classic radio station playing Hall and Oates songs, and all seemed pretty well with the world. I turn up Randersvej, beside the tamline to the hospital, some two miles up the slight hill, then to the next junction to the offices.

Two hundred and forty eight I am one of the first in, so do the tasks I had failed to do the night before, have more coffee and go to meet my boss and colleagues. There should be 12 of us, there is three.

So, we talk and joke for an hour, before off to the next meeting. And so on all day.

We have lunch, then have the big meeting for the day.

And after all the stress and meetings building up, I find I am drained after it, just wanting the day to come to an end so I could go back to the hotel, which I do at five.

A change had come over the weather, clouds were building, and the wind had a cold edge to it, and once back at the hotel, despite looking down onto the Aarhus Street Food festival site, I tell myself, I had walked and snapped enough, and should eat in the hotel that night.

Which I do. I go down at half seven, order steak. Would sir like a glass of Spanish bubbles/ Yes, I believe I would, I answer.

The steak is K, as is the triple cooked chips but not as good as I can do Honestly.

But I am done, so go back to the room to watch Germany play France, and although ending 0-0, was entertaining enough, and so full of skillful play.

Wind rattled the wndows of the room, the city was bathed in jewels outside, all neon lights shining bright, but I was spent, and at half five, my alarm would call me back to the land of the living....

No comments: