Monday 4 May 2020

Sunday 3rd May 2020

2nd day of the weekend.

And, with the forecast being changeable, swinging between warm and sunny intervals and light cloud with a strong breeze, it was hard to know what to do.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs But in the end, orchids ran out winners, and the plan was to repeat the walk along the cliffs so I could survey the tiny Early Spiders.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs That was the plan, and it was mine.

As before Jools would drop me off and drive back to the village, then walk to meet me somewhere around Fan Bay.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs That was the plan.

Worked last time.

Anyway. The weather decided to be overcast and cool, which meant taking my own supply of sunshine, the ring flash. But this also meant carrying the camera, macro lens and flash. It was like carrying a small child, but with less tantrums.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs Jools dropped me off at the NT place, still coned off and with more warnings than a Falkland Island's mine field. I get out, gather my camera and off i go.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs The overview down to Jubilee Way and to Dover is as breathtaking as ever. A cyclist had stopped for a breather, out of puff after cycling up Castle Street, past the Castle and to here, before the final push to the top of the cliffs on the way to St Maggies.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs We agree with each other that it is a fine morning to be out.

I go down to where I knew there were spikes and rosettes from earlier last month and previous years, but I see none.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs And along the narrow path, where there should be spikes, I see none there as well.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs So, down the path to the cliff road, and on either side there were tiny spikes, most gone over, but a couple worth stopping and snapping for. And again, up the cliff road, if you look carefully, more tiny spikes, some in good condition, but each with just the one open flower. I snap all of them.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes Down below, the port is almost empty. Less than a dozen trucks and lorries wait for a departure, and again there are no cars waiting to board.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes At the top of the cliff road, two tiny spikes were clinging to the edge of the cliff, with the waves lapping far down below, I try to get shots without tumbling over. In my head there is a panicked NZ accented voice telling me not to get too close to the edge.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I get my shots.

My back is feeling slightly better, not happy, but not as bad as some times, so instead of following the cliff road, I take the up and down path to Langdon Cliff and Hole. This is because i wanted to search the cliff edge for more orchid spikes, really. Of which I find none.

One hundred and twenty four But it is so special to have such places to yourself, it is magical to peer over and surprise a kittiwake on its nest. It flew off in disgust.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs Up the last steep slop to the top of Langdon Cliff, fissures showing the sheer drops to the sea far below.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs I should be able to see Jools by now. But no.

So, I press on, past the area that looks like a huge cliff fall is about to happen, but it has been like this since before the war.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs Anyway, along the cinder path to Fan Bay and still no Jools.

Oh dear.

Worse case is that if I do not find her, I will have to walk all the way home.

Could be worse.

I walk to the access road, expecting Jools to be walking down it, but still no sign. I walk to the wartime road that still links the old radar and observation posts: still no Jools.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs So I walk back towards Dover for a few hundred yards, and with there was no sign, I turn round, and there is the sight of Jools in her warm jumper, striding ahead.

Government approved daily exercise, another walk along the cliffs I call to Jools.

She fails to hear my calls.

So I try to speed up, call some more, and she just hears me, stops and waves. I wave back.

We meet up, then walk towards South Foreland Light together, and it appears we had walked in a great circle round Langdon Cliff, at opposite sides, so we were both out of sight.

Anyway, all was well.

We make good time into the village, across the last big field, past the village hall to the car, then a quick blast down Station Rad to home.

Back home we have breakfast of fruit, and a well earned coffee.

And two hours or so later, we have a fine lunch of the second shepherd's pie and left over grillin beans.

Which was rather splendid.

Jools pots up plants, I, well, do something that takes all afternoon. Some of the time included eating an ice cream, but that did not take four hours.

Anyway, nice just to fritter the day away in a non-productive manner.

I had made bread at lunch. Well, mixed the dough, then waited through the afternoon to make it into a loaf, wait for it to rise again, then bake it.

It was a white load, but with lots of seeds added and coated with poppy seeds on the outside.

It was also splendid.

I make sandwiches with the bread, the bread was so nice, I use the loaf and all the ham, meaning we each had a plate of sandwiches, of which we had no chance of finishing.

So, we left two each, so lunch on Monday was taken care off.

But there is the way the crust is so crispy, something you never get with shop bought bread.

Phew. We were stuffed.

The evening was filled with internet stuff, posting, writing and messing about.

And just like that, the weekend was gone, but we had done more this time. And who knows, next weekend is a three day weekend, and already I am planning orchid hunts, to no ones surprise.

1 comment:

nztony said...

I was hoping I was going to get a mention when you saw the cyclist stopping half way up the hill, mentioning your Kiwi friend wouldn't be stopping for a rest half way up!! You redeemed yourself with a magnificent mention a couple of paragraphs later. If you remember it's a walk we did on my last day in England before heading home.