Sunday 11 October 2020

Saturday 10th October 2020

It am the weekend.

And I should have a long list of things to do, places to visit. And indeed I do. But, in the days of COVID, you can't be sure if a church would be open, or welcoming to visitors. So, the plan to visit Stowting was cnacelled, as the website said it wold be open for private prayer only. There will be other times, and I have snapped it before. Seems like it was another life now, and the thing I remember was that the visit was soundtracked by hundreds of bats squabbling in the rafters of the roof as they tried to sleep through the summer's day.

Not bats or chuches this day.

But there is Tesco.

The previous night I had told Jools to remind me to take the beef out of the freezer as Jen and Sylv were coming round for dinner. I forgot, Jools forgot.

Maybe we could get a joint at Tesco? Turns out there was almost no choice in the pre-packed aisle, and the "butcher" counter did not open to nine. I'll got to Preston, I tell Jools.

So we rush round getting stuff off the list, then back home where I call Mark to place an order for a topside joint, then we could put the shopping away, have breakfast, before I drove to Preston.

THe land is now harvested, ploughed and many fields planted with a winter crop, tractors have laid several layers of mud on the narrow lanes on the way to Preston, so I skid and slither my way over the fields.

The order is waiting, so I pay and swap news and gossip, football related, and I am on my way back in 5 minutes.

Back home, I put the radio on, put the shopping away and we are done.

I write and edit. Its what I do. I also make a brew for us.

Exciting stuff!

Lunch comes round, and I make ham rolls, smothered with Jools' home made chutney, which is fabulous.

We do try to repair Jools' machine for chopping garden waste up. It came apart, but won't go back together. We stare at it, hit it, look at the two parts, bang them together, harder, and still they don't fit.

Two hundred and eighty four Oh well. Maybe it'll be easier in the morning?

A quiet day, but bright in the morning, so we go for a walk, looking for flowers and butterflies. But we see horses. Lots of horses, most out being exercised, by experienced and inexperienced riders.

A walk to Windy Ridge We say hi and let them pass safely.

Only two Red Admirals seen, no Queens or Dukes.

Jen and Sylv were coming round for dinner, so I preare the joint, pp it in a hot oven for twenty minutes, then turn down to medium, and let it cook.

A walk to Windy Ridge Potatoes boiled, then fried. Steamed vegetables, and finally freshly made onion gravy. Jools went to pick up Jen and Sylv, we have a glass of vino whilst the veg and Yorkshire puddings cook.

A walk to Windy Ridge It comes together, perfectly at six. I carve and dish up, all done perfectly.

Afterwards, we talk and drink wine for several hours, until we run out of wine, so Jools drove them back home.

And that was that. I slpet well.

No comments: