Wednesday 28 October 2020

Tuesday 27th October 2020

Beer day.

I have dreamed for over 30 years of being the beneficiary of my parent's estate, what I would do when the money came to me. I really did. Back then, two hundred grand, which is what my parents house was worth for the best part of twenty of those year, would have gone a long way. Even with the lifetime mortgage to pay out, there was enough to pay ors off, and there should be some left over.

And so, the thought always has been, that then would come years of working, earning and saving squillions of pounds.

But the reality is, that just as we have become debt free, Brexit is going to happen. All our pension investments are based on what used to be normal. And then there is COVID on top of that, there might never be normal again.

We have free cash now, but what should we invest it in: gold, silver, potato futures? I have no idea.

There is talk of banks offereing negative interest rates, or charging you for looking after your own money. And now there is talk of charging for anything more than a basic savings account. I know we are luckier than most, but our next egg will shrink.

Our plans to retire in five years will have to be put on hold, probably.

And yet, there is a chance that things might not turn out bad. The new reality on January 1st might only be temporary until common sense takes over. But then we have been relying on our old friend common sense to save us from Brexit for four years.

And here we are.

But for now, we carry on.

And it is pay day. And its mostly all ours. We squirrel away a fair bit of it.

Jools' bother, Mike, had to go into hospital for an operation, and with him needing to be get to Canterbury and Jane on critches after her ankle operation, Jools said she would take him.

Meaning the alarm went off at five, so she could leave home at twenty past six to get him there on time.

It was dark at five.

It was darkish at six, but getting light.

A little.

I get up at six, Jools makes coffee, gets dressed and is gone. I know I should go on the cross trainer, and so I do. And step up the time by two whole minutes, put the radio on and get going.

It wasn't that bad, but not that good either. I get it done, then have a shower to be ready for work at eight, breakfast made and eaten along with a fresh coffee.

I have my nw task to get into; calibration, so fire off e mails, and start a new spreadsheet. Making a spreadsheet gives you the impression of being in control.

Jools returns at half ten, laden with crispbakes, macarons and chocolate. I make a coffee and we have some peanut butter stuffed chocolate bar.

Three hundred and one It was good, we both agreed, but also left the second bar uneaten.

Last week I found a good vendor in the UK of Belgian beers, so placed an order for 5 bottles thanks to someone putting money in my Paypal account, meaning it felt like it cost me nothing I mean who doesn;t like the thought of free tripel Belgian beer?

And Tueday it was delivered, meaning I had 5 bottles of the Chimay blue, Grande Reserve, and now have at least one bottle of it from 2016 to 2020.

Five good years I'll need a good reason to open the single bottle of 2016!

And I also took receipt of a box of Stella, in leiu of payment for the talk on orchids did a week ago.

Payment in kind Swimming in beer!

Lunch is cheese toasties, with huge brews. Of course.

The afternoon is all meetings, which sap my enthusiasm.

Jools get the call from the hosital at three, so we both go to pick Mike up. He is sore, but OK, but is not allowed to drive as he had a genral.

We drop him off them am at the door to the chippy at half four to pick up dinner, take it back to Mike and Jane's.

We eat well, and talk about life and where it has taken us all.

Obviously it is dark outside, and heavy rain hammers down, so we get wet when we leave, and rivers of runoff pour down the hill as we drive up to Tesco.

Back home we feed the cats, put the kettle on and have brews, before I put the tele on to follow the evening's football.

Norwich were away at Brentford, but the live game was Wycombe v Watford, whch ends 1-1, as does the Norwich game.

The rain continues to pour down outside.

We go to bed.

I almost forgot. OK, I did. But the big news is that Jools is to return to work on Monday, full time at first, as the furlough scheme is coming to an end.

Jools is overjoyed at the thought of being productive once again, and for me, I will be alone in the house with just the cats and kittens for company.

Anyway, so for the next couple of days, just enjoying being together at home until it changes next week.

No comments: