Wednesday 14 October 2020

Tuesday 13th October 2020

I have now lost track of the days of the week. I thought today was Tuesday and so yesterday Monday. But it seems I have lost a day of the week.

Tuesday was the second day of Jools back on furlough, so we were back together, although I would be working most of the day of course.

A year ago we were in Chicago, our forst full day, where we met with an old Flickrfriend, Photons, who along with his partner, took us around the city. A great day, and a year before was our last day in Boston, we drove up the coast to Rockport, out on route 28, down by the powerling. We drive past the Stop n Shop, we liked that better than walking past the stop n Shop.

I am a Modern Lover.

But for now, we were back home, no holiday this year, and for the day, would be trapped inside the house as rain fell all day. And fell harder as the day wore on. It felt like a late autumn day, one that never got fully light.

Two hundred and eighty seven Sigh.

Jools didn't even go for her early morning walk, instead she pottered around the house, inbetween we had coffee, breakfast and coffee, morning tea and then lunch.

Through the day I made a ragu: in the morning I made the tomato sauce the let it rest while the garlic and truffle sauce worked its magic. Through the afternoon I add sweated onions, browned minced beef, grated carrot and chopped mushrooms. I bring to the boil and let simmer for two hours.

The house smelt glorious.

Heck, even the tomato sauce smelt wonderful.

Work is work, whatever I did, it took all day to do, but I think I actually made some forward progress.

Which is nice.

In the morning, I called another Flickrfriend of mine, Liza in Canadaland, whose birthday it was. Facebook has its faults, but the ability to use the platofrm for a digital quality call, free for an hour, is wonderful. We swap news of cats, wankers, work and our lives in general. The internet and social media gets a lot of bad press, and rightly so, but this stuff is great and brings distant friends much, much closer.

Liza said that though my words, Jools and I seem contented. And I think that is a perfect description. Many thanks, my friend.

And the kittens are settling in. Clea just throws herslef to the floor wherever to have a wash, or roll on her back looking at the two of us, purring. And Poppy, in the last 24 hours, has let me pick her up too. My heart melted.

Dinner, clearly was pasta and garlic bread, the bread shop-bought, but made into garlic by myself, and was wonderful. I have a glass or three of red wine with it, and was perfect.

The evening was spent watching the no defending football in the Germany v Switzerland game, which ended 3-3, but could have been 7-7 quite easily.

Anyway, the rain had stopped.

No comments: