Monday 26 August 2024

Health update

It all began on the 26th January, when, after a long period of being stuck inside due to constant rainy days, I went for a walk in the new wellingtons bought for this purpose.

At some point, I had twisted my right knee, and, as it turned out, tore my cartilage.

We were due to go to Iceland on holiday five days later, and I wanted to go, but it hurt to walk.

I struggled home, and on Monday, when it was no better, went to the clinic down the hill for assessment, and it was he who told me what I had done.

By the 31st, it was less painful, and we packed for the trip. Jools was bringing her case down the stairs when she slipped, I moved to catch the case and tore the knee again.

Next day, we were lead all round Heathrow once our flight had been cancelled, taking us back through immigration so we could catch a bus to a hotel. I was nearly in tears by the time we got to our room, no position was pain-free.

I took drugs.

Then in Iceland, as the knew repaired, I would slip on some ice and tear it again, and it would be painful. So painful I would lay in bed for 90 minutes before it settled down and I could sleep

We did most of what we wanted in Iceland, only twice did I bail on things, so back home, back to the clinic, get some exercises, and get better.

Hopefully.

But it was a slow process, and even though the cartilage healed, the tendons either side were inflamed and muscles sore above and below.

I was limited when I could go out exploring or orchiding, and for someone who really lived for that, to only to be able to do the bare minimum hurt almost as much as the injury.

Into April, and travel to Denmark for a team event, I couldn't take part in the breakout room event, as it was so much walking, and even walking round the blade factory was so painful.

The orchid trip to Denmark was also painful. I was limited to how much climbing and clambering I could do, and after a day out in the field, walking to the restaurant a few minutes away was like walking on razor blades.

I became aware that I was walking with my right foot pointing slightly inwards, which was causing aches in my ankle. But that was nothing compared to the time in June, when filling the feeders, I turned my ankle over and I felt and heard something pop.

Bugger.

I had strained a tendon, the one that goes under the outside of the ankle joint, which meant any shoe worn pressed on the tendon making the pain ten times worse.

It was at this point when I doubted I would ever be well. I met my old boss, had a walking pole, and the ankle injury brough deep cramp in my right calf that was almost impossible to shift. What a poor figure I must have cut then.

I went to the clinic, he told me it was the least serious of possible injuries and would get better within two weeks, and indeed, the pain melted away.

And then my back: I damaged my back in the RAF, have two partially compressed discs and the discs press against my spinal column making it ache. Also causing back pain is piles. The Curse of the Milligans. And since JUne that flared up again.

However, over the weekend, there was some pressure release, and the back pain eased, my ankle is fine, and the knee just has a dull ache, that more use will help. I did 18,000 steps on Friday, 10,000 on Saturday, and my legs were aching, but with use not through injury.

Its taken a long time, seven months really. But I am fine, I am careful on rough ground, but can walk freely again, the walking poles are not needed. And so the shadow that hung over me is gone.

At one point I thought, is this it. Is this getting old, never to get better? One injury leads to another leads to another.

Turns out, not yet.

No comments: