Thursday 29 August 2024

Wednesday 28th August 2024

Up and attem!

I put the trap out again, and so second task, after coffee, is to check the trap, and the highlight was a vibrantly coloured and marked moth. A Peach Blossom.

Two hundred and forty one It is the time of the year when the sun still rises before six, but arcs lower across the sky, so the light pours through the petals and leaves of flowers rather than on them.

A few years back, Jools planted some giant oats, which the Goldfinches take a shine to the seeds of during the winter. To see them cut back almost to the ground, then in a couple of weeks be four or five feet tall again, is amazing.

Giant oats There is work, more writing of the audit report, which is never as easy as you'd imagine it to be. So, once I had the second coffee, I set up the office and get down to work again.

It is going to be hot again, so I have the doors and windows open, the cats sleep deep in the undergrowth at the top of the garden, or some equally dark corner of the house. I am not really bothered as I work.

I am trying not to think of it too much, but 363 days until I retire. Maybe more as my birthday falls on Bank Holiday Monday next year, if I work to the weekend it'll be another whole month.

We shall see.

I was going to go out for a walk, but come half three, the sun and coupled with little breeze meant the heat was like a blanket, so I sit in the shade and discuss international trade with Mulder.

Dinner was Caprese with another go at the almost instant focaccia done in a frying pan, so come quarter to six, a fine Italian feast is ready for when Jools comes home.

Of course there was football in the evening, even as I battled snoozing on the sofa with Scully. Nottingham Forest v Newcastle, with the Toon taking the least after 18 seconds or something.

I keep watching until full time, ten give up on penalties, so go to bed, unaware who won.

No comments: