Friday 30 August 2024

Thursday 29th August 2024

It might not look much, but:

In 2003, I knew I was leaving the RAF, so gave my Tennant notice to leave the house, and I was to move in for the last 18 months of my enlistment.

Two hundred and forty two I had to furnish the whole house, as two divorces had left me with just the hi-fi and record collection.

So, I went shopping.

I bought a sofa, bed, wardrobe, cabinets, futon, washing machine and tumble dryer. And had to equip a kitchen.

I went to a long since vanished homeware shop in Norwich and spent a grand. A quarter of which was a fancy knife set, of course.

Among al the essentials, I bought a pasta cutter, clearly my plan was to make my own pasta. Heck, I even bought pasta flour that grew old and mouldy in the back of the pantry.

The cutter laid in various drawers and so has been unused for a quarter of a century, nearly.

Until yesterday.

When I made 200g of fresh pasta, rolled it out and made, well, something thicker than spaghetti.

How'd it all come out?

Wait and see.

Well, it was al dente, but good, although I did think the dough too dry, I added oil and it came out OK, so cut into strips, covered with a sprinkle of semolina flour to stop the strands sticking, and then just wait for Jools to come home so I could cook.

Carbonara A pot of boiling water, and pop the pasta in for three minutes, cut and dice the guanciale, heat in a frying pan until the fat rendered. Add the pasta, some pasta water, and then the grated pecorino cheese, cook until the sauce was creamy.

And serve.

All done in then minutes, and tasty, though the pasta a bit too thick, but good enough and will be better next time.

Other than that, it was another day at work. Another day slept through the alarm, and another day writing the report, fielding calls and generally filling my time.

There was the "big" meeting at three, though a difference in expectations from me and my manager and HR, I corrected them and closed the meeting.

I have no idea where this will end, but I am, at least, in control.

Dinner was a triumph, served with a good red wine, and devastating company from Jools.

I am so tired with work and fighting.

Bed at eight, and snoozing before it was properly dark.

No comments: