Monday 5 September 2022

Sunday 4th September 2022

Part two of the weekend.

On Friday, a Queen of Spain Fritillary was spotted and photographed near the Monument in the village. Needless to say, I was duty bound to go and look for it, even if I was two days too late.

Despite being September and autumn, by some measures, temperatures were on the rise again, meaning poor sleep and a shower needed before doing anythng. Once the first coffee had been drink, of course.

Looking for the Queen So, the search are was around the Monument, which meant we could drive there, park, search and come home.

Looking for the Queen Only one van up there camping, and no other cars.

There was lttle wind and there was clear blue skies. Should be perfect for a butterfly hunt, only issue was they I might have been a little early.

Pararge aegeria Round the Monument, I same across a Speckled Wood basking on a fence, got a clear shot, but the Painted Lady I disturbed a few metres further on flew away.

Looking for the Queen No shot.

So, I wandered lonely as a cloud. With a camera. Snapping as I went.

I saw a flash of orange, surely this was a Queen?

No, it was a Small Copper. In fact, alost as good, as about only the 4th I have seen this year. I saw a second half an hour later.

Two hundred and forty seven I checked each meadow/down on each side of the monument, but no Queen seen.

Oh well. Although, I did see one two years ago, which is nice.

Obviously.

Back home for second breakfast of coffee and croissants, and prepare the tomahawk steak for lunch.

Looking for the Queen I had a new recipe for that. Season it well, sear on all sides and cook for 40 minutes, in the meantime I boiled the potatoes, steamed the corn and made stir fry. Last act was to deep fry the boiled potatoes and slice the steak and serve.

Looking for the Queen Marvelous.

You'll have to take my word for it, as I was too hungry to take a shot.

We also had fizz. Obviously.

And once washed up andcleared stuff way, try to stay awake and watch the football.

Leicester doing a good impression of Norwich and losing 5-2 at Brighton and remaining bottom of the league, then Man Utd putting three past Arse. nal.

By which time I was awake and happy to have chilli infused cheese sandwiches for supper.

And that was it.

Hot and humid. Sleep would be difficult.

No comments: