Sunday 4 July 2021

Saturday 3rd July 2021

And the weekend arrives, so des the rain, and the mist returns.

Sadly.

The plan had been to go onto the Romney Marsh to look for a rare butterfly. We did this tree times last year and saw none of the White Letter Hairstreaks, and hoped the new season would bring fresh luck. But the cool year meant that the main emergence hasn't happened yet, and the light rain expected would have meant those that had hatched would be sheltering.

A walk in a new wood for us. Again. That has been postponed for at least a week.

So that left the question of what to do with the day. In the end we, or rather I decided to go to a new wood where I thought a rare relation of a pea, Wood Vetch, could be found.

A walk in a new wood for us. Again. That meant waiting to see if the weather would be good enough for that, which it seemed to be, with no rain forecasted, but no one told Mother Nature, because once we had driven through Barham and found a place to park the rain started, and was no shower, but set in for a good hour. As we were here, we took and unbrella out and walked under that, my camera and flash hanging and at the ready in case of interesting stuff.

A walk in a new wood for us. Again. The walk was only about a mile and a half, along a woodland track, turn right and then right again, and back to the road. Even I couldn't get lost.

So I thought.

It was wet and muddy underfoot, but along the woodland tracks there was plenty to see, even a few CSOs, which I snapped a few just because. Hedge Woundwort was everywhere, and here and there a few wild Foxgloves could be seen in woodland clearings, some nearly eight or nine feet tall. Amazing plants.

A walk in a new wood for us. Again. Earlier I had noticed a laneside butterfly reserve and a footpath, so once back at the road, we went to investigate, and I found about 100m of Common Cow Wheat, a rare woodland plant, and the foodpalnt of Heath Fritillaries, but no butterflies to be seen.

The path divded, I went one way and Jools the other, and all was going well until I came to a muddy clearing, I chose the wrong way, and by foot hit hard ground, while my shoes couldn't grip, and I went down.

A walk in a new wood for us. Again. Swearing quietly.

Muddy water leaked into my shoes. I had mud halfway up my trousers too, the novelty of the walk had worn off, so I got myself up, and walked back to the car to wait for Jools.

Job done.

We drove back as the skies lightened an the rain eased, but it was too late now, as I had soggy feet and was cold.

Back home we had a brew and lunch. I made chicken kiev and fried potatoes, served with a bowl of creamed spinach, which was all rather nice. Jools went outside to do some gardening, and I took to the sofa to see the last 40km of Le Tour, and a massive day in the Alps with crashes and breakways, more importantly, great views of the passing countryside.

One hundred and eighty four At five it was football time, Denmark v Czech Republic, and Denmark's fairy tale continued with them running out 2-1 winners, so like the rest of us, sat down to enjoy the last quarter fnal, England v Ukraine.

Ukraine's plan was not to concede, but sadly England scored within three minutes of kick off, and so the Three Lions too charge.

Into the second half and England score three more, so to cruise into the semis.

After watching every one of England's campaigns in either the Euros or World Cup, there is usually a sense of disappointment or that something would go wrong, as generation after generation of bright young hopes fail after being unable to deal with the baggage.

This group is being lead well, and coping even better. Who knows if they can beat Denmark, but no one now hold any fear. And on top of everything, England are scroing freely now.

No comments: