Monday 5 July 2021

Sunday 4th July 2021

Independence Day (US of A).

Sunday for the rest of us.

We were planning on going to Warehorn for butterfly action, and on top of that I have been told of another new site for orchids.

But the weather had other ideas; cloud and the promise of rain. So, I decided to cancel the butterfly trip, and instead go for a haircut thus freeing up the next four Sundays for butterflies and orchids.

Now it's official. Again. That's the plan.

It did mean a slow start to the day; listening to the radio and a lzy late breakfast. Indeed the cloud was low and it was dark enough for the table lamp again.

Mugs I leave for Folkestone at nine, driving through Dover and out up the A20, through Capel to Folkestone. Fog had drifted in, and many folks driving at 70mph in the fog with no lights on.

Beware of zombies As it was a poor day for weather, lots of parking spaces, so I grab one near the shop, then walk up the top of the Old High Street, up Rendezvous Street and found the barbers already open, and the first chair was empty, so I was shown into it.

Old Folkestone Would I like a coffee?

How are you, sir?

Did you watch the football?

All the while he is shearing my head, taking a weight off it that had grown the previous three or four weeks.

Don't worry, I say again, it grows back.

I believe he knows.

And after half an hour, it's done, so I pay the guy double, and leave, passing by the fancy cake shop as we have half a tart at home that needs eating.

Old Folkestone I drive home back through the fog in Capel, then down Old Folkestone Road, past the railway station and up Castle Hill to home.

I toast the remaining bagels and smother with pate, and make brews. And just before the start of Le Tour I make another brew and we have a good slice of tart. I mean any slice is good, but this is a splendid tart. I mean, a king amongst tarts.

And so to the cycling: up, along, up, down, along, up, down, up and up. 144km in pouring rain.

And once Jools had got back from swimming, we went to Jen's as she had invited us for roast lamb and all the trimmings. It meant meeting Jen, Sylv and John again, the first time we had all been together since the end of October last year.

I'll be Mother We talk. A lot. Jen cooks. We fix her IT issues, then we eat after John had carved, and I even had a glass of wine (with soda water) and suffer no ill effects.

One hundred and eighty five We were invited to play cards, but it was already eight in the evening, and as Jools is doing the work of two people for the next week, so she needs her rest and sleep.

So we go home, I mess around online for half an hour and then it was time for bed.

No comments: