Thursday 13 June 2024

Football endless

I once told my friend in the US, Jason, that football, soccer, is pretty much a 365 days a year sport now.

He said he thought that heaven.

And I would too if we didn't already have it.

I say this because tomorrow, the Euros kicks off bringing with it five weeks of games ending on the 14th July, just in time for pre-seaspn friendlies and the kick off of the new season in August.

I used to like NFL because there was none for seven months a year, so by the time the season began in September again, you were so ready for it. I'm not ready for another 46 game Championship season with Norwich and the remaining 23 teams.

Next season sees teams in the group stages of the Champion's League playing two more games, and at the end of the season the first 32 team World Club Cup featuring 32 teams from around the globe, five from England.

I am tired with all the games, I'm sure the players are. England looked shattered last week in their two friendlies, Wembley wasn't full and St Jame's Park was quiet as both teams went through the motions.

There can be no real reform of the game until the number games that each player takes part in, and distances travelled. A day after the end of the Premier League Season, Tottenham and Newcastle flew to Austalia for a friendly, this included players who will play for England in the Euros.

Changes to the game, the calendar without any consultation to either fans or players. No one asks what we want, or how players feel about having to play close to 70 games a season, with huge amount of European and global travel.

And then, after saying all of the above, I'll watch it all anyway.

No comments: