Monday 2 August 2021

Lawnmeadow: July

I realised once I had written last month's update of our lamnmeadow through the year, that I had described the drifts of Ox Eyed Daisies, I had failed to photograph them, so I put that wong right now.

One hundred and eighty two From dawn to dusk, the air is full of bees, butterflies and flies, all busy collecting nectar and doing the imprtant work of pollinating. I could sit all day and watch time. But time presses.

Leucanthemum vulgare Or a more general shot of the effect:

The lawnmeadow My very own orchid, the Pyramidal went on to flower fully, and then gradually turn brown and set seed. I am hoping for many more spikes next year, of course.

An orchid to call our very own Last year we bought some Viper's Bugloss, and thought they had failed totally. And then, a flash or blue seen among the Ox Eyed Daisies, and here be snakes!

Echium vulgare New species in the lawnmeadow have been at a premium, as the final flush of spring growth gives way to the lushness of summer, doubly so when we have been blessed with the wetest of Mays, Junes and Julys, really quite astonishing, really. But popping up in the shadow of the hedge was this, Hedge Woundwort, it of foul smelling leaves, but close up with flowers almost good enough to be an orchid.

One hundred and ninety six Yes, really that good in close up:

Stachys sylvatica And that is it, really. On the 23rd, I mowed the first of the meadow, leaving the thatch to dry in the sun before gathering a few days later, hoping that the seeds will drop down onto the ground for next year's display.

Two hundred and six I have left two areas unmowed. One where the Musk Mallow is still looking glorious, now climbing up and through the hedge. This came from one small plant last year, and now has taken over a quarter of the meadow, so next year, who knows?

Two hundred and seven And yet, I already have new seed for next year. More Yellow Rattle to ensure the grass is kept under control, but some Greater Burnet, Common Centuary and a dash of Depford Pinks too. Already looking forward to it.

And now for next year's display

No comments: