Sunday 29 August 2021

Saturday 28th August 2021

It is the weekend.

And the last three day weekend of the year. Every few years, my birthday falls on one of the days of the holiday weekend, meaning that when growing up, and when the Red Arrows used to attend the Oulton Broad Regatta, I could pretend they came to celebrate my birthday.

I moved away and Oulton Broad could no longer afford to have the Red Sparrows come, so they no longer do a display at any time in OUlton Broad.

But you will be glad to know I still celebrate my firthday, but with less jelly and iced rings, more's the pity.

Last weekend, after finding the ALT in flower at Temple Ewell, I arranged a meet of the FB group on what was expected to to be the ebst day, weatherwise. As the week progressed, the forecast got worse, but at least there'd be no rain.

He said.

We had coffee, and Jools said she was going to walk to Dover along the cliffs, and I would meet her at the Sunrise Cafe once I was finished with the orchids. Her last remark was that there was rain in the air and she would take her rain jacket.

Bugger I thought.

THere was still half an hour to go, and it would probably clear up.

The rain got heavier.

Maybe its not raining inland.

I said.

It was.

I drove to Temple Ewell and parked behind the old pub, and one by one the six or so people arrived, and we were all ready to go at nine, and it was still raining. So I decide to leave the big camera in the car, and lead the group up through the wood and to the down above.

The Orchid hunters It was still raining, but not so hard, and soon stopped, but in a way I failed to notice. Later, the sun even came out and it got warm, so I took my rain coat off, so the mozzies could get to my fair skin and feast off my vintage blood. I am attractive to something. Apparently.

I showed them the larger colony, then walking back towards the gate we stopped and looked, and photographed just about every spike of ALT and Autumn Gentian we came to. Being cool and windy meant there were few butterflies about, and no skippers, sadly.

The Orchid hunters At half ten I texed Jools to say I was on my way down and would be in Snargate Street in 20 minutes, she replied to say she would be in the acfe and there was lots of parking.

I go in and Jools is waiting, we each order a seven piece breakfast and drink and toast. The Sunrise is a comminty place, pay what you can, and support the community. We pay a tenner each, covering the cost of someone less fortunate so they can eat.

The plan had been to go church crawling. I had cold wet feet, and I didn't fancy the drive in heavy bank holiday traffic: the port was as busy as we have seen it for 18 months, even as the school holidays come to ane end. I say we can go out Monday, on Bank Holiday. Leave early, back home early.

Two hundred and forty Probably.

We go home and I take of my soaking socks so I could warm up.

I put on the radio and write, the afternoon stretched out before me like a sporting festival, wth three games back to back, and Norwich back in action at three, playing Leicester at home.

Sadly, Norwich lost again, 2-1 and had a goal disallowed for a dodgy offside. Many thanks, VAR. So, no points from three, but are no longer bottom as Arsenal go bottom with the same goal difference, but having scored no goals at all, after losing to Citeh by 5-0 earlier.

In the evening game, Liverpool play Chelsea, which ends 1-1, and was rather entertaining.

By which point it was half seven, and after supper, we go to bed to read, and as darkness fell, I switched off the light and went to sleep.

Rock and roll.

No comments: