Thursday 19 August 2021

Wednesday 18th August 2021

No Poppy last night before we went to bed, she did not appear during the night to sleep on the bed, in her usual position. And no sign Wednesday morning. She had been missing 26 hours.

We tell ourselves this is usual, and she will turn up. But doesn't stop us worrying.

So, we were subdued in the half light of the cloudy morning, drinking our coffees and getting ready for work.

I log into work, but my heart isn't in it really. Its the start of a bout of depression, if not actual depression, then a dark black cloud. (don't worry, all better on Thursday), but it means I find other stuff to do other than the work I should be doing, and that just makes it worse.

Convolvulus arvensis I have toast and the last of the nutella for breakfast, nothing like the choco-hazlenut spread that goes with a fresh cup of coffee.

Sherardia arvensis I was working away when a black dash came in through the front door.

Meow.

Said Poppy in her cut glass way.

I was overjoyed, tried to act "calm", I give her a huge handful of kitty kibbles, then get a fresh bowl of food. She demolishes both, then goes to bed to rest.

Two hundred and twenty nine I mail Jools to let her know, so to put her mind at rest.

Pops came down at three, demanded more food, finished that, and went back out. We didn't see her the rest of the day.

Pieris rapae But she is fine.

Yay!

I have cream cheese on toast for lunch. And brews.

And at half two, I have had enough and closed the work computer down.

I decide to go for a walk to lift the gloom.

That worked.

My target was Windy Ridge, of course, the lure of the butterflies was too strong, and now entering the period when the Queen of Spains might re-appear. He hoped.

Off on another butterfly hunt So, I walk over the fields, literally over the field as the path is so overgrown still, but at least the fields have been harvested, and a fresh regorwth is turning the stubble green again.

Off on another butterfly hunt A few Wall Browns flutter out of the way as I cross the fields, down the track to Collingwood, no butterflies there. The sun was too war to the west now, and the wild flowers were in shade.

Off on another butterfly hunt I go down past the farm, then up to Windy Ridge, seeing a few Common Blues, Gatekeepers, and at the woord, Red Admirals, Peacocks and Small Whites, with Speckled Woods just in view at the edge of the wood.

Off on another butterfly hunt At least there was sunshine, even if the breeze was keen and cool, in the wind not much to snap, but out of the wind there were a few butterflies, though nothing unusual enough to stop and snap.

I get home, feed what cats were about, then set about making caprese with some garlic bread to go with the tomatoes and cheese.

As usual now, no wine, just squash, followed by a coffee, and it was pretty darn good.

As the footy season is in full swing now, there was a full program of midweek games in the Football League, so I watched Albion v Sheffied Utd, and WBA ease to a 4-0 win, so with twenty minutes to go, I give up happy the result was known, so go to bed.

No comments: