Sunday 6 February 2022

Saturday 5th February 2022

I run an orchid group on Facebook, and it is the meetings I have arranged that really give me such great feedback in seeing those who attend enjoying seeing the plants so much, sharing the knowledge and passion.

Before Christmas I tried to arrange a social meeting in a pub, but traffic chaos on the M20 and Omicron put pay to that, so thought I would try again.

Sadly, just two people said they would come, a partners, but I could also meet with a fellow Flickrite, Steve, as he lives nearby. So, a win/win thing, really.

I planned the replacement at short notice, for midday on Saturday, and so all was set. Though, we did have errands to run.

I had sat up to listen to the football the night before, so laid in, only to find when I woke up, Jools had already left for Tesco to do the shopping, so all I had to do was get up and put the heating on.

Thirty five I have a coffee, and wait for her to return, then help her unload the car and put the shopping away.

As we were to have Jen and Sylv round for lunch on Sunday, I had to go and get the beef joint we were to share with them, and Jools didn't want to come along, so I went on me todd over to Preston to see the boys.

Not much to report really, a few lorries out heading to the port, but no real delays, and a fine morning with plenty of sunshine too.

Business is booming for the boys, they were through most of the week's stock, but had a nice topside joint, some steak too.

I come home via Deal, just for the pleasure of driving down the coast if I'm honest. Not much traffic about still, and most of the shops in town not open either as it was still before nine.

Back home I get on with breakfast. I had bought some fine smoked back bacon, so grill that and butter the crusty rolls Jools had bought, so had a fine meal along with a huge brew too.

We are ahead of schedule, so can relax until it is time to go out at eleven.

I had a plan to look for the Wall Pennywort in Folkestone again. I looked at the shot, thought I knew the orientation with the church, so thought it would be easy. I dropped Jools of on the way at Capel, as she was going to walk into town along the beach at the Warren, so I drove into town to find a place to park.

And how different the town is on a Saturday, lots of people about and mingling, talking with friends and so on.

I press on to the church, and look, but I can't find it. I convince myself its on a wall, but once home I realise its at ground level, so a third search will be needed, although it seems the council had done some major vegetation clearance, so they might have swept it away.

Kipps Alehouse I had run out of time, so rushed to Kipps Alehouse where the two members and soon to be friends were waiting.

Steve soon turns up too, so we chat and drink.

Debbie and Les have a house in France; we could go and stay they suggest.

I warn them of the flaw in their offer, that we might take them up on it!

Jools arrives, flushed with the climb from the beach, so I supply her with apple juice and cider.

At the dubbel We carry on talking.

In the two and a half hours, I had two Zots and a Westmalle, enough so that I was unsafe to drive. So Jools took us home, back in time for the football, with Norwich back in action in the Cup at Wolves.

And Norwich win again, 1-0, although backs against the wall stuff in the second half, we are in the 5th round, and have now won 3 out of the last four games.

We have been rewarded with a trip to Anfield in the next round.

There is more cup football to watch in the evening. Whilst watching and listening to the funk and soul show we eat pork scratchings and I drink sloe gin.

Stay classy.

A good day.

No comments: