Tuesday 23 January 2024

Monday 22nd January 2024

A full month since the winter solstice, just before Christmas, and the amount of daylight seems to have changed little. And yet we are one sixth towards the longest day of the year.

At least this day, this Monday, the sun did shine, and although the wind didn't drop much, it was bearable out, enough to check the beds and lawnmeadow for anything new.

A friend elsewhere in the county saw a Brimstone on the wing. I have yet to see a butterfly this year, but there's always a chance on a warmer sunny day.

We sleep in again, hardly seems any point in setting the alarm just so we can go back to sleep. Even still it was a shock to wake at ten past six and it already showing light outside, at least on the horizon. Due south, Venus shone, untwinkling.

I get up, feed the cats and make coffee. Its not often I'm up first, but I do know the recipe for coffee and where the cat food is. Jools gets ready for work, and I do the usual, all ready to start work at, or just after, seven.

Deep breath, we're going in.

Sometimes, its hard to even have the strength to start work, but once logged on, work just tumbles out of Outlook, so I have a day of tasks ahead.

Twenty two Outside the tail of Storm Isha passes over and the wind calms down. Don't fret, there's another storm a coming on Tuesday into Wednesday with more wind and rain.

There was cold mashed potato and sausages left in the fridge, I fry both in butter, an fried mash is even better than mashed. Sausages are fine hot, reheated or cold.

Artevelde Grand Cru Life with the cats has settled down. Sometimes it takes a real quiet day with them to realise. Poppy now sleeps on the footstool in front of the TV, unworried by the other cats, and apparently wanting to be around us. Or me during the day.

I'll take that as a win.

As you know now, Jools goes aquafitting of a Monday evening. So we have a chat when she comes home, then she is gone, so I feast on crackers and cheese and two bottles of new beer. I was going to have one, but why not two?

Delirium Argentum Why not indeed.

Finally, there is Leicester v Ipswich on the telly, and a fine game it was too, and although it pains me to say, Town deserved their late equaliser.

No comments: