Sunday 7 January 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024

And so to the weekend.

And after four days at home working, a chance to get out and do some snapping.

Though looking a the list of churches in East Kent, most have been visited or revisited in the last four years, but when I posted my list of top 50 churches in the county, I saw that Postling needed to be revisited.

So the plan was set.

And nearby Lyminge might have snowdrops or other spring flowers blooming in the churchyard.

And with no shopping to do, we laid in bed to half seven, before getting up, having coffee and breakfast. I charged the camera battery, formatted the card, grabbed the big bag with the big lens, and we were away.

I dropped Jools off in town,before heading to Folkestone, turning off just to head up the Elham Valley, and off that road at Etchinghill to Postling.

Six Postling was the very first church in the project, and I have been back at least once, but that was 6 years ago now. So I parked near the fingerpost and walked to the churchyard, sadly finding the porch door locked.

I turned round and was studying the row of timberframed houses beside the churchyard, when I saw a figure coming up the path.

Morning, do you want to get inside the church?

I replied I did.

I'll get the key, she said.

Which she did.

There is no stained glass inside St Mary & St Radegund, but there seems to be the three ends to rood beams, carved and painted, but only about 12 inches of each. The big lens let me see them close.

I retake shots, and am happy with the results I got. So, pack up and walk to the car, and drive the three miles up the road to Lyminge.

Lyminge is a church and village I love, thanks to St Ethelburga's shrine and well we know the history of the village goes back to the 7th century, and from the well the winterbourne stream, the Nailbourne emerges, bubbling with cold clear water. It flows across a meadow, then up te valley to Elham, Bridge, Patrixbourne, Bekesbourne where at Littlebourne it becomes the Little Stour.

The source of the Nailbourne, St Ethelburga's Well, Lyminge, Kent It doesn't run all the way over ground, except when it has been very wet, like now, in which case the bourne can be three feet deep and swift flowing.

Snowdrops I walk to the well and photograph the meadow with the stream running through it, before walking back up the kill to the church, under the single flying buttress, over the now marked remains of St Ethelburga's chapel, now covered again by the path, into the extensive churchyard where i hunt for snowdrops, before eventually finding a small clump with a single flower open.

Ss. Mary and Ethelburga, Lyminge, Kent I walk back down to the church, but I have photographed it so much there was really no need, but the saint's shrine I rephotograph before walking back to the car to drive home.

Traffic is very light this time of the year, so no trouble to get back, park up, check my shots and have a brew before the festival of football that is the FA Cup 3rd Round, with all goals shown on Final Score on the BBC, almost as they went in.

And there was commentary on the radio too, it was football heaven. Scully slept on beside me, and Jools retreated to the back room to do some crocheting and watch Dr Who.

Tongerlo Christmas Sadly, Norwich failed to beat Bristol Rovers, so they must replay in ten days time.

And then there were two evening games to choose between.

Oh my.

No comments: