Saturday 14 March 2020

Friday 13th March 2020

Friday 13th.

Bad day for Knights Templar. Everywhere.

One good thing about spending most of the day driving is that I would be unplugged from social media. And on another fast moving news day, that is probably a good thing as events overtook the decisions made my Johnson the previous day. Probably not for the last time. I did have either Radio 6 or 2 on, so got hourly updates on the headlines, and on 2, traffic updates.

Thing about the virus is that analysis is driven by data. Infection and fatality rates from different countries can be compared, and where say either the UK or US now can be compared with China or Italy to predict how bad things will be. No matter how the news was on Friday, with the cacellation of one sporting event after another, including all football, the realisation that we are still about ten weeks away from the peak here in the UK, and as I wrote yesterday, the Government has just played a massive gamble with the nation's health which will result in many more un-necessary deaths.

But for six hours, I mainly listened to the radio or got into arguments with Dutch egg delivery van drivers, well driver. about how they were driving and how I would like more than three inches separating my car's back bumper and the front grill of his van.

That notwithstanding, it was a fine old day.

Thing about planning a road trip back to St Maggies is that you want to avoid towns and cities at rush hour, but at the same time wanting to be home as soon as possible.

So, anyway.

I woke up at ten to five, it was just about dark outside. Hard to tell as the hotel is surrounded by floodlights, but no watchtowers. I put the radio on and lay in bed. I had also turned the heating on, so it would be toasty when I did get up.

Breakfast began at seven, and I was down at five past to have cereal, yoghurt, coffee followed by sausage and bacon butties. Or butty, because two would have been greedy.

I check out after packing, the sun was up and the traffic on the main road was flowing well. IN a redical move I don't program the sat nav, instead will rely on my homing instincts.

I set off for Chester, most traffic turned off there, so cruised on towards Warrington, where I could have called in at head office. Or go straight home.

I turned south onto the M6.

Traffic was surprisingly light. It was almost a pleasure to cruise south to Birmingham, even through the roadworks. The radio played on, chirpy upbeat turnes interspersed with news of the forthcoming apocalypse.

Seventy three I stop on the toll road services to fill up and grab a pasty and Coke for lunch, and press on past Birmingham, Coventry before taking the A14 east towards Northampton and Cambridge. I go this way to miss out most of the M25 round London, and I know the road well, and soon the A14 near to Cambridge will have its upgrade cmpleted, but not today.

But even there the traffic was light, and bear in mind this was a Friday, so traffic should have been much heavier, but wasn't.

And the M11 south to London was fairly empty too. I could cruise at 70, overtaking trucks and lorries.

And again on the M25 towards Dartford, the motorway was more than half empty. It was freaky, at least two lanes were empty, not the neaside ones, obviously, but still I made such good time.

And over the river into Kent, down the M20, through the roadworks which is now just a short stretch, I would be home by two.

At midday, news came that the football season was being suspended until April 3rd, at least. Meaning that whole hours of the next few weekends had been freed up, just what to do with them?

Jools picks me up at the port after I drop the keys off, and we go home, what with it being the weekend and all that.

Back home we have a coffee and chocolate biscuits. And after a while, I do a session on the cross trainer, have a shower and get dressed.

All nice and clean for the weekend.

We put the radio on, and the day passes from afternoon to evening.

We were both pooped after a long week, so after watching the first semi final of Only Connect we go to bed at half eight!

No comments: