Thursday 12 March 2020

Wednesday 11th March 2020

Back on the road.

With the fast-developing coronavirus situation, what looked like first in a series of road trips over the next two months looks like due to restrictions (more of that later) to be the last. For a while.

Seventy one For me, it was back to North Wales, back to North Hoyle to facilitate a certification audit. And trust me, you don't want to know what that means.

Dover Castle Anyway. After coffee and getting ready, Jools drops me on the seafront, so I could go for a walk before picking up my hire car. The wind had dropped and the overnight rain died out, and a mist had risen, almost hiding the castle from view. Almost. I snap it with the compact, and it comes out.

Dover Castle I snap the castle shrouded in mist and smoke, looking very grim and photogenic.

Sea crow I walk along the promenade to the start of East Cliff, cross the main road then along to the port, passing the closed and/or struggling hotels.

A walk to the port As always now, my keys were waiting, no paperwork to sign, just pick up and go, in some Vauxhall thing. At least I know the controls, so drive it out of the port, up Jubilee Way to home.

A walk to the port I am back by ten past eight, so have breakfast, and a second coffee which I will regret on my way north, but hey.

A walk to the port I wait until nine then try and get tickets for Norwich's game at Arsenal, which I doubt will be on, or if is there will be no crowd.

Oh well.

That secured at ten past nine, I load the car, talking for a few minutes with Mick next door, first time I hae really done so since the "wallgate" incident from a few years back.

I set the sat nav, and off I go.

First, driving through fog on my way to Dover, then along the A20 to Folkestone, but that ends once the road turns inland, and I put the radio on and enjoy the day.

You know the route by now, round the southern M25 round to the M40, passing several accidents and jams, but on the other carriageway, and after stopping for a wee, up towards Oxford, and the reason for coming this way? To see and enjoy the Red Kites that thrive in this part of England. I saw 19 of them in about an hour, all wheeling and cruising over the road, looking for lunch.

Traffic is heavy, as expected round Birmingham, but clear as a bell up the toll road, and the weather was fabulous. Sadly the joy of the near-empty toll road is tempered by the madness and chaos of the 35 miles of roadworks between Stafford and Crewe. At least it wasn't snowing this time, I suppose.

Just before the start of the M56 to north Wales, there was a jam due to an oil spill, but I miss it by taking the slip road west, and once again, onto a clear road.

I cruise on, getting to the hotel just after four, time to check in, have a wash and then go down for an early dinner, where to no one's surprise I heard my mouth order burger, fries and a beer.

A second beer kept the first one company, along with cheese and crackers, which was wonderful, if left me stuffed.

Sadly, the people in the next room had a hyperactive kid, and she was running around, banging on the walls until nearly eleven, but I was listening to the radio, so no worries, and then put in some ear plugs and slept well, though I would ask to move in the morning.

During the night, Denmark announced it was closing down, sending public workers home, anyone else who could was to work at home, and travel to Denmark would be restricted.

This shit just got real.

At least in Denmark.

No comments: