Friday 13 March 2020

Thursday 12th March 2020

Thursday, and time for work, as that's why I was in Wales.

The family in the next room were noisy, well their screaming child banging on the walls and door was loud. I slept with ear plugs when I turned in at eleven, but to be on the safe side, I ask at reception if they were moving out. They were no, so could you move me? Why? I explained. Aaah, yes the child was a pain the bar the night before too.

By the light of the rising sun Leave it to them, I was told.

So I went in for breakfast; All Bran, yoghurt followed by sausage and bacon butty, which I have to say, ht the spot.

A Welsh Tree I was ready for work. I told myself.

The sat nav guided me across the fields and down to the coast, through the village of Mostyn to the port, I drove over the railway and to the compound, only to find I was first in.

Seventy two I wait in the lobby and my colleagues arrive one by one, letting me into the offices, so I could read mails and prepare for the audit, though in truth they would be the ones being audited.

So, we are all there, just need the auditor. He lives just up the road from the hotel, has the shortest trip in, so is the last to arrive, of course.

He does turn up, we all don't shake hands, but swap introductions over a brew, then get down to work.

It was a glorious, if breezy, day outside, and I would love to have been out exploring. But I was in the meeting room, taking notes.

It all ends at four, and by the time we have a end of day pep talk, its half past and tme to head to the hotel, too late to go to Conwy to photograph a railway bridge and castle.

I have a room the other side of the health spa, looks onto a slatted fence, but I hope it'll be quieter.

I go to dinner at six, and with all my willpower I order soup followed by roasted vegetable penne pasta. It was fine, though no burger.

Behind me Man Utd play in Europe in an empty stadium. I joke with the two United fans that the atmosphere is better than at Old Trafford. They don't kill me, but almost agree. Ha. Football without fans is pointless, the fans make it, and so if there can be no fans, there should be no football. As the evening wore on, footballer after footballer was revealed to have been infected, team after team was going into quarantine. The thought that the FA and Football League considered carrying on was laughable.

One person's life is more important than any sport.

There, I said it.

I read through the evening, whilst listening to the radio before turning in at ten. In peace and quiet.

No comments: