Saturday 26 December 2020

Friday 25th December 2020

When you go to bed at midnight, you are more likely to get up later. Even then, my expectations were exeeded by not stiring until quarter past nine!

That is almost supper time!

Saying that, we were disturbed by various cats during the night, with broken sleep at times, so even still, somewhere between seven and nine hours was good.

Three hundred and sixty Jools had been up an hour, the cats were fed and Poppy had rejoined me on the bed for a hard day's snoozing. So, I get up, get dressed and come down to a fresh coffee, and we wait for Jen so we can all have another brew then open the presents.

At ten, fed and watered, we ipn the presents we had recieved, in the shade of the Christmas tree. I took pictures.

Christmas unwrapping And after a mid morning brew, it was time to prepare the feast. At least this year the turkey was a manageable size, just six pounds in wiight, but I had also bought bonus pigs in blankets.

I potatoes were zapped, the Yorkshire pudding batter was mixed and left to rest. I got the turkey out and left to climb to room temperature before putting it in the oven just after midday.

The 3 stages of Christmas dinner Meanwhile, Jools and Jen played Rummikub, while I prepared the vegetables all ready for the off. After an hour I took the silver foil off and put in the pigs in blankets, and the smells began to waft around the house, triggering the first of the hunger pangs.

The 3 stages of Christmas dinner THe meat done, the vegetables were put on to steam, the over fired up and so was the fryer. I sipped a tripel as I cooked, stress free, in command of the timetable and plan.

THe meat was carved, the finished vegetables served, and the gravy made from the juices and stock from the salt beef was decanted. Final the risen and cooked Yorkshires were doled out, the potatoes, all deep golden brown were served, Jools opened the fizz and dinner was served.

The 3 stages of Christmas dinner I tried to make less, but still it was huge, as all parts were wonderful, so we ate, dranks, pulled crackers and were merry.

Afterwards, Jools and Jen washed up, and I went for a lay on the bed, joined by Poppy who was happy to lay at my feet, out out of range from my stroking hands.

For the evening, we taught Jen to play Uckers, though we had to adapt the game to feature the snake, which moves round the board with each sake of the dice. It is a frustrating game, but after an hour I emerge the victor.

We then switch to cards and the sloe gin comes out, and so Christmas Day fades into Boxing day with pennies being exchanged.

And that is all.

No comments: