Monday 22 July 2024

At the end of a very long quest

I have written in the past about the search to see all UK and Irish Orchids, where it started and where it might finish.

It began in South Foreland Lighthouse, and ended ankle deep in stinky black water in a fen in Norfolk.

In between, I an we went to Sussex, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, The New Forest, Northumberland, County Durham, Lindisfarne, Lancashire, Cumbria, Wales, Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and now Norfolk.

The quest is at an end, and the question is what to do now?

There is one more species to see: the Ghost, though that has not been seen officially since 2008, and if it were to re-emerge, likely news of that would not be leaked.

So, for now. That is it.

I have also seen the hybrid between the Bee and Fly Orchid, various Early Marsh sub-species, hybrids between Early Marsh and Heath Spotted, Early Marsh and Norther Marsh. Also both sub-species of Fen Orchid. It has been suggested to try to see all the hybrids, which is a challenge which would mean revsiting many of the sites I have already been to. Or to see all the named variations of the species, 9 of which are for the Bee Orchid alone.

And what then of new species? Did the Giant Orchid count, as it was naturalised. As was the Greater Tongue Orchid, and Kent's own Serapias vomeracea, almost certainly seeded from a passing lorry. So does that count?

For this year, at least, the quest, the obsession is over. No more planning trips to see "one more orchid", or "this one's really rare". Just the warm feeling of a job well done.

But last thoughts on this: most of it would not have been possible without the fine folks of the orchid community. I know I have moaned about the cliques from time to time, but many people have provided directions or grid references, or even met me to take me to the site of the target species. And all of them have been wonderfully warm and generous people. It was worth it just to have met them, the orchids being secondary.

So to each and every one who either seeded the thoughts about orchids, gave me encouragement, or provided me with details and/or friendship. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: