Sunday 28 July 2024

The Quest. Epilogue.

Due to not putting shots in the correct folder, I missed one species.

No matter.

We shall come to that in a bit.

When I began this, quest, I didn't intend to see all species in the UK and Ireland. The plan was see the ones in Kent, but with Burnt Tipapparently extinct in the county (it wasn't), to see it meant to go to Sussex. Leaving Kent.

And then there was the Lindisfarne Helleborine, which I wanted to see, for some reason, and so we had to go to Northumberland.

And then in 2017, two books on the same subject were published: The Orchid Hunter by Leif Bersweden and Orchid Summer by Jon Dunn. Both recounted how during the 2016 season, they both attempted to see every UK and Irish species.

A challenge.

I actually helped contribute twice to Jon's book, and since he has become a friend and was one of the guides on the my trips to Rhodes and Spain.

Between them, the two books really highlighted the fact that there are orchids in the UK. And Ireland. And then in 2020 Sean Cole and Mike Walker, our two guides in Ireland this year, published their A Field Guide to the Orchids of Great Britain and Ireland, Sean appeared on Gardener's World, and between the three books, orchiding exploded.

Joining the Hardy Orchid Society meant being able to go on trips, free of charge, that they and other members organise, and it is on those that I went to see the Irish Lady's Tresses and the one I missed, the Red Helleborine. I have missed out the Giant Orchid because as yet it is not a native or naturlaised species, through has been living on that embankment for 15 years, quite happily.

Anyway, after 12 years, orchids and orchiding are now hugely popular, and running a group on FB dedicated to Kent Orchids, and having field craft means I get asked to contribute to books, or show folks round. It's pretty good.

Contrary to what some might think, I know my limits in orchids. I don't try to ID most Dachts, leaving that to others who have more knwledge. But its fun, and great to share the knowledge and passion with others, getting such positive feedback when I host group meetis at sites than can sustain them, its what keeps me going season after season.

So, is that it with orchids?

No, not really.

There are 80 sites in Kent for Lady Orchids, I know of about six, so will do some exploring. And if a new species occurs, I will go if I know where it is. And my fiend, Richard, has offered a private tour of Hutton Roof next year.

But not to be driven, not having to think about the next trip, that's really quite pleasant.

And now, the Red Helleborine trip.



Tuesday 28th June 2022

There are somewhere between 50 and 60 native orchid species in the UK.

I say it like that because as genetic sequencing is used, what was once a separate species becomes a sub-species of something else.

And then with the availabilty of orchid plants and seeds on the net, the "chance" discovery of more and more exotic species becomes ever more likely.

Of the top of my head, these are the species I have yet to see.

1. Narrow Lipped Helleborine 2. Creeping Lady's Tresses 3. Irish Lady's Tresses 4. Lesser Twayblade 5. Coralroot 6. Bog Orchid 7. Irish Spotted Orchid 8. Small White Orchid 9. Dense Flowered Orchid (though seen on Rhodes) 10. Dune Helleborine (though seen both Tyne and Lindisfarne(though the latter was a separate species in 2014)) 11. Ghost Orchid. (of course) 12. Pugsley's Marsh orchid

And until yesterday, Red Helleborine.

Some are rare due to geographical location limitations, and some are low in actual numbers, some, both. The Ghost I probably won't see, but of the others, the blandly names Small White Orchid might prove to be the most difficut.

The Red Helleborine was never that common, but since the war its best sites have been built on, and what sites are left have at times poorly managed. Most years less than five plants flower, some years just one. So, the chance to see one of the sites, and as it turns out the only one with flowering spikes this (and last) year was too good to turn down, and after the hours put in last week, I thought I would claw some back this week by taking Tuesday off.

It would mean having the car all day, and driving to the Chilterns and back in one day, but what the heck? THe trip was arranged by the Hardy Orchid Society, I put my name down and was accepted.

We were up at five, Jools made drinks and then had a shower, I dragged my body out of bed, got dressed and got all my shit together.

We left at quarter to six, me dropping Jools off on Hythe seafront, and then heading back to the motorway before taking the M25 south round London. I knew it would be tough, but I had four and a half hours for a two and a half hour drive.

Should have been enough.

I won't lie, travelling along the M25 and then round the M25 is not pleasant. Even in glorious sunshine. Traffic was stop/start for over an hour, and then the sat nav declared that the motorway ahead was closed.

I said to the sat nav, if that were true, I'm sure the matrix signs would have mentioned it.

The motorway is cloed, it said.

Again.

So it came to pass that I was travelling at between 60 and 70mph along what the car told me was a closed motorway. So, I had no estimated time for arrival, only that the alternative routes were to take much longer than I had.

So, once the car agreed with me that the motorwa wasn't closed after all, and with the expected delays taken into account, I would still get to the site with an hour to spare.

Good news.

It was great to turn off the M25 at the junction after Heathrow, head to Oxford, but have enough time to be able to stop at High Wycombe services for a comfort break, then call in at Greggs for not one, but two sausage rolls for second breakfast.

I was boosted by their energy for the last half an hour drive to a lay by in a wood, where the warden was already waiting.

As time went on, more and more cars arrived, so soon over a dozen folks had arrived, and at half ten we had our brief and we walked into the woods.

Because there was a clay pigeon shoot on at the landowner's estate, it was like being in a warzone, but walking carefully down the chalk slope through dense woodland, we came to a stockade, and on the other side were two weedy looking spikes with glorious pink flowers.

One hundred and seventy nine Red Helleborines.

We took turns to take shots, some took a few, other apparently took hundreds.

I suppose I should mention I was recognised by the organiser, Richard, and a couple who asked: did we meet at Homefield Wood where you pointed out orchids we should look at?

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille Yes, that was me.

And another couple when I said I bumped into a friend of us both at Goring railway satation on the way to Hartstock, they said they were in the minibus waiting for their driver, Duncan, to take them somewhere else.

Small world.

Is the orchid world.

After 90 minutes we were done, so we walked back to our cars, and with it being after midday, I knew I had to make tracks to head back to Kent.

So, programmed the sat nav for home, and away I zoomed.

No comments: