Tuesday 11 October 2022

Monday 10th October 2022

Ian's on the road again.

A road trip, back to the Isle of Wight.

Four days, three nights. I just need a hire car and hotel, then book up the ferry.

Beyond that it was all down to the great Gods of the M25 as to whether it would take an hour or several to get round to the M3.

Only time would tell.

Jools had Monday off as usual, as was going to spend it on a spa break with someone from work who has gone through the worst of times this last year.

So, after coffee, Jools dropped me off in town, and i went into the car hire place to see whether I had a booking and if my wheels would be a Model T or something better.

It was a Renault, automatic, which wasn't too bad, though is prone to wheel slip if you press the pedal down too hard. But other than that, was OK. And as I drove up Jubilee Way, a man was walking down the narrow pavement with two large bags.

Turns out he was making a protest, he hung up a banner then tied himself to the barriers. In the end, Police clod the roads for hours, making the town jam up, which I did get caught up in for a bit.

Back home for breakfast, then to pack, and finally load the car.

All systems go.

To avoid the traffic, I went through LYdden then down to Folkestone and then onto the motorway.

No delays.

I had all day, really, so settled down and cruised up to the M26, then headed west, where traffic wasn't too bad, until I came to the A3 junction, where there was miles of traffic cause by amount of traffic and a minor shunt on the hard shoulder that rubberneckers slowed to gawp at.

Situation normal From there is was a clear run to the M3 and so turn back south.

I stopped for fuel and lunch on the way, eating whilst driving, so showering the interior of the car with fakes of pastry.

Up to that point the car's sat nav had recognised to post code for the ferry terminal, but had said over and over that no route was available. But suddenly it found it, so a drive past Winchester and into and through Southampton was pretty stress free, and I pulled in at the kiosk at twenty to two in time to catch the two o'clock ferry, not even time to grab a coffee from the terminal, as the ferry was already in port and unloading.

Thumbs up I get on, and go straight to the sun deck so to get fine views once we set sail. I chose the back of the boat, and began taking shots.

Maritime Jenga We sailed past two huge cruise ships, car transporters before the port faded away, and the rain from earlier had given way to bright sunshine and light winds. Almost like going on holiday.

Eye see you An hour later we sailed into Cowes, and with a few minutes waiting, we were allowed off, where I headed to Ryde to snap the new Island Line trains.

Red Falcon The Isle is a strange place, all narrow roads and narrower lanes, but a touristy place so lots of coaches about, all demanding their space on the narrow roads.

Splash So I made my way to Ryde, then down through the town and found a place to park near the hoverport and railway station.

A lot less bovver I got there as a hovercraft arrived, engines powered down, people got out, some with bikes, then people walked from the terminal to get on, and in five minutes, the engines started and it turned to leave the apron and back onto the sea, heading back to Portsmouth.

Two hundred and eighty three Meanwhile a ferry had arrived at the end of the pier, and a train rumbled down, so I snapped it as it left the station. THe old 1938 tube stock has been replaced by more modern refurbished units. Not as nice to look at, but looking good on the line.

My two tasks done, I walked back to the car and drove back to east Cowes to catch the "floating bridge" or chain ferry to west Cowes where the hotel was.

The new ferry, now some five years old, is prone to breaking down, but I was in luck as it was working, though I did have to wait 20 minutes to get on.

The sat nav gave up at this point, but I just about remembered my way to the hotel, and arrived with no issues or drama.

Only the car then decided it could not detect the wireless key and the engine wouldn't swtch off. Then when it did, locked the doors when I got out and would not open until I spoke to it, sternly.

An evening in Cowes I checked in, and after a wash, went for a walk in the late afternoon sunshine, catching the last of the rays before dusk fell.

An evening in Cowes I walked along the prom, to the harbour, then along the river and up the cobbled high street, where most shops and restaurants were still open.

I made my way to the alehouse, it was still open, and i was recommended the coffee stout, which was as robust as you would imagine.

I found a place to have dinner. Their jambalaya caught my eye.

Sadly, I was the only customer, so they put me at the table in the window, and yet this tempted no other diners. The food was excellent, hot and spicy, and well worth the £30 the company paid for it.

An evening in Cowes I walked back to the hotel along deserted streets, but the light of weak streetlights, but above us all, the full moon shone brightly​.

No comments: